New hop leaf growth yellowish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewed

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops. I am growing them for fun, and if I end up with a few for beer, great!
My main question is that my new growth leads seem to start yellowish and then green up. Is this normal, or do I need more/ less water? Perhaps some food for the plants.

That does look like a nutrient deficiency. Could be calcium, iron, or nitrogen - but only a soil test will tell you for sure. Here is some more info: https://www.usahops.org/cabinet/data/9.pdf

However, the first thing you should look at is the PH of the soil. Hops need a PH between 6.5-8 (with 7-7.5 being optimal). If the PH is off, the hops won't be able to use the soil nutrients - no matter how much is in the soil. Luckily, PH testing kits are cheap and easy to use.

It's getting worse and worse almost to the top of the plant. No idea what it is. I sprayed some fungicide on it that's what the white stuff is. Help!
20190702_063404.jpg

Did you check the PH or run a soil test?

Virus & fungal infections also tend to be specific to a single species of plant ... so, if your tomatoes are also showing signs, I would stop the fungicide and look elsewhere. The soil would be my first guess, but it could also be insect damage (mites, aphids, hoppers, etc...)

This is my first year growing hops. I am growing them for fun, and if I end up with a few for beer, great!
My main question is that my new growth leads seem to start yellowish and then green up.

It would help if you told us a bit about your soil, that kind of chlorosis is pretty typical of a nutrient deficiency. The USGS thinks that Waukesha county is mostly dolomite, so your problem is probably not calcium or magnesium deficiency. Instead the problem is most likely the pH being so high that the plant is struggling to absorb iron from the soil. So first check the pH - kits are available from any decent garden supplies place. There's various solutions to high pH - see this : https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=82
You can also supply chelated iron, which provides iron in a more "digestible" form to the plant.

Nitrogen fertiliser will also help - hops are pretty hungry plants, and organic matter will provide both nitrogen and reduce the pH a little.

@kl Roosevelt brewer - I think you posted to the wrong thread?

Back