New hop grower help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauer

Reaction score
So this year I got 3 hop plants from Great Lakes Hops. Centennial, Columbus and multihead. They started out great but after a little bit they seemed to stop growing which I know can be quite common with first year plants but eventually they started turning yellow then brown. I think now I had overwatered them and then we had a lot of rain. From the research I've done they may have downy mildew? The centennial and Columbus turned brown first and started getting the white mildew looking stuff on the leaves so I cut both of those plants down to the soil. The multihead was looking better but is now looking like the other 2. I'm curious if there is anything I can do to save my plants or if it is a lost cause? I've attached a picture of how the multihead looks this morning. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1494258335.692838.jpg

It looks like they are potted. What sort of drainage holes do you have in the pot?

Are they in a sunny spot, and how has your weather been?

The mulch was originally there to insulate for a random freeze we had one night after the first bines emerged. I pulled most of the mulch off a few weeks ago to try and help dry it out. I will remove the rest.

Yes they are potted. The pots are plastic half barrel pots. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom with my largest drill bit. They are in the sun facing south. The weather here has been a bit erratic. It will be sunny and 70-80 for a few days and then drop to 50-60 and rain. This week it has finally stayed nice and in the 80s and sunny.

I'm hoping if I trim all of these bad shoots and keep them dryer they will put out more bines but I am worried I may have killed the plants.

Buy a moisture meter. That will help with future waterings and see where you are currently.

I'm hoping if I trim all of these bad shoots and keep them dryer they will put out more bines but I am worried I may have killed the plants.

I would leave it alone and see what happens. Cutting away the growth on a new plant could kill it - there is not enough root structure and reserve energy to grow a new set of shoots. Even if the leaves are wilted, they are still pulling in energy to grow. If the leaves dry out, pinch those off, but if they are still soft and leaf-like, leave it be and see what happens.

In my experience, growing anything (including my hops) is 95% benign neglect and 5% backbreaking labor. RDWHAHB and see what happens.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am worried about the possibility of downy mildew on the plants, which is why I cut the first 2 plants down. From what I've read about it that's what needed to be done. I am fine with leaving this plant alone, I just worry about the health of it since it seems to be starting to get the white powdery mildew like the others (hard to see in the pic). I have treated it with a pesticide/fungicide that is safe for plants and vegetables.

I used an organic potting mix that I got from Home Depot. I may have part of a bag in the shed I can get a picture of tomorrow if it will help.

Does the fungicide specifically state that it treats downy mildew? If it does, then you can relax a bit. Know that if it rains more, you'll need to re-apply. If it does not state that it treats it, go find one in a garden center that does say it.

Okay it looks like it says powdery mildew but I don't see anything about downy so I'm guessing I should go find another one that says downy.

I used an organic potting mix that I got from Home Depot. I may have part of a bag in the shed I can get a picture of tomorrow if it will help.

Potting mix will hold water. Something like a 50/50 mix of potting soil and native soil is probably a better mix. You want to force the hop root system to seek water & nutrients.

Thanks guys. I think that is my main problem. I bought a moisture meter and even though they seem to be drying out up top it is still saying it is very wet. I will try mixing in perlite and see if that helps. The multihead is continuing to brown unfortunately. The centennial and Columbus look like they might be trying to form new buds though so hopefully they are trying to come back.

Surface soil is a poor indicator of soil humidity, though. Gotta stick your fingers in deep for a better idea.

Back