new homebrew club in houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
im thinking of starting a new homebrew club in houston. just trying to see what kind of response i get. also any suggestions would be helpful. if there is anybody interested let me know.

I'm very happy with the club I'm in. I joined about 4 months ago. I would consider it a good club. I'll give you a brief rundown of our activities.

We meet every Sunday at the leaders house. I guess he is the President of the club. It's very informal though. We meet at 1pm.

We start the first 30 minutes getting organized. Then we start the weeks brew (or 2). Sometimes we do one (5) gallon batch. Sometimes we do one (30) gallon batch. Sometimes we do one of each.

While the brew is going on, some of us will bottle or keg the stuff that is ready. Sometimes we clean up bottles.

After the brew is done we all pitch in to clean up.

An individual can make his own beer and take it home. The club just asks for a sixer to be donated so everyone can try it.

The 30 gallon batches are usually spoken for before we brew it. You want in? Just buy in and you take your share home. Bottle or keg, it doesn't matter. I've bought in on 2 brews so far. Each was between 17-20 dollars for 5 gallons.

Each week after the brewing is done we head inside and do a tasting. The tastings are of 6 beers. Usually, all the tasters are of the same variety. We grade each beer on aroma, profile, finish, and aftertaste. The scores are kept on a spreadsheet so you can view them later if you choose.

While we are brewing, 1 person is preparing food. We usually eat sometime during the tasting. It seems like all the food is smoked. Can be anything from cheesecake to lasagna. The food provider rotates. So far, I've provided the food twice. One time I made 2 pans of lasagna and the other time I prepared 20 lbs. of bbq pulled pork.

Our day is normally done by 7pm.

During the week we communicate via googlegroups. We discuss what beer will be brewed that weekend. For the 30 gallon batches, if we have enough people wanting to buy in, we'll set the brew up (and if we have the fermenter space).

I've talked to other people in other clubs and the other clubs don't actually brew. They taste each others beer and discuss techniques. I'm glad I didn't join one of those clubs. It's so cool that we actually brew every weekend.

I'm not sure if this is the type of input you were looking for. It's all I got though.

A new one just started on the north east side. Rogue-brewers.com
They meet in the new hbs called back yard home brew in humble. The first meeting hasn't happened yet but it seems like it's going to be very laid back and casual.

I may be interested, but it depends on where all the meetings would be at. Any idea on what part of Houston we would meet at?

Humble is north east Houston. So probably by bush intercontinental airport. I believe KGB (Kuykendahl grain brewers) is north west where i am and Foam rangers i believe is near sugar land. i need to look into it

I am in the Woodlands and new to brewing. Would like to see a club closer this way.

Hey Guys, I am one of the owners of Backyard. A new club just started called Rogue Brewers and they have a meeting this Thur. You're welcome to stop by and check them out. They hold their meetings at our shop, we have a separate building called the Education Center where they hold their meetings. check us out on backyardhomebrewers.com
Adam

Hey Guys, I am one of the owners of Backyard. A new club just started called Rogue Brewers and they have a meeting this Thur. You're welcome to stop by and check them out. They hold their meetings at our shop, we have a separate building called the Education Center where they hold their meetings. check us out on backyardhomebrewers.com
Adam

+1

I met these guys a while back and they're good to go. :mug:

Back