New Home, New Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrinda

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just recently moved from Kansas to Connecticut. In Kansas I had really hard water that took a lot of effort to get into a good range. I would usually add quite a bit of lactic acid along with calcium sulfate/chloride. Now that I am in CT on well it appears that I have the opposite situation. I'm just looking for some advice on what to expect with the new water. Here is my report from Ward Labs:

pH - 7.1
TDS - 104
Cations/Anions 1.6/1.6

Sodium - 7
Potassium - 2
Calcium - 19
Magnesium - 3
Total Hardness (CaCO3) - 60
Nitrate - 0.4
Sulfate - 5
Chloride - 6
Carbonate - <1
Bicarbonate - 64
Total Alkalinity (CaCO3) - 52
Phosphorus - 0.02
Iron - 0.07

Hopefully this water will work out well.

Pretty good. Chloride and sulfate both low so you'll want to supplement at least the chloride if not both. Alkalinity low enough that you can wipe it out with a small amount of acid or a modest (1:1) dilution with RO. See the Primer for ideas on how to start out.

Oh come on, AJ. He already mentioned that he is used to acid use. With that nicely low alkalinity, its only going to take a bit of acidification to reach appropriate alkalinity. No need to burden someone with a real imposition of dilution in this case.

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably use a minor addition of lactic acid since I have lots left over from my old water. Since the other elements are also so low, should I be wary of adding it all in with calcium chloride/sulfate?

Oh come on, AJ. He already mentioned that he is used to acid use. With that nicely low alkalinity, its only going to take a bit of acidification to reach appropriate alkalinity. No need to burden someone with a real imposition of dilution in this case.

Dilution is less of an imposition (if you have a source of RO) than acid addition, though we should leave that determination to the reader.

Dilution: Fill HLT half full with tap and the rest of the way with RO. Voila!

Acid either:
a)Fill HLT and add acid until pH reaches mash pH (requires pH meter)
b)Determine volume of water to be treated in liters, multiply by 1 (this works because his alkalinity happens to be 1 mEq/L) and divide by 11.8, measure out that many mL lactic (or divide by 1.2 and measure out that many mL of 10% phosphoric) and add.

If he is to benefit from the guidance of the Primer he will use dilution as the Primer strives to make things as simple as possible.

Thanks again, it would be nice to just dilute with RO water. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, a source of RO isn't as easy to come by as are the bottles of acid in my refrigerator. :) Along with my new well water came a longer drive to any stores. So I will definitely be utilizing primarily the water that I have on hand. I'm mainly just happy to have a water profile that I will be able to work with. Though I see a good pH meter purchase in the very near future.

Back