New HERMS first run!!! Pics coming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you ever come up with the parts list? I'm thinking of doing something similar, but with one cooler for MT and my existing electric HLT. Thanks.

No, I did not, I just dont seem to find the time or patience to go back and figure out what sort of components I have in the thing and where I got them all over the past three years...

No, I did not, I just dont seem to find the time or patience to go back and figure out what sort of components I have in the thing and where I got them all over the past three years...

I understand. If you have some more pics and have time, please post them. I'm leaning toward making a dedicated HERMS heat exchanged, rather than using the HLT, bcs with my element and stuff mounted the way it is, it would be a pain to snake tuning in there. Thinking of something like this, maybe out of a 1-2 gallon drink cooler:

Heat Exchanger

That is something that I thought of doing... instead of using the HLT. I just figured if I was going to do that, it would make sense to use the HLT since I have to heat it anyway.

You rock!
I already have my single tier stand almost finished, and should be brewing with the pumps and propane in a week or two. I can't wait to raid your parts list to make my hlt a self-temp-maintaining electrified model. I could bring it up to temp faster with the added burner, then shut that off and let it manage itself. I imagine it'll make the HERMS much easier.

The more instructions you have on how to put it all together, the better in my opinion. I'm not an electrician, but I'm also not a dummy. I learned to weld and I learned to solder pipe, shape metal, etc., all so far in building this stand. I bit of electricity work seems in order!

Look for my new thread about my all electric conversion too... I am that process now. Converting the BK to electric and installing a control panel.

Hey The Pol,

Did you use 3/8 or 1/2 copper for the coil? I think I remember you saying 1/2 but I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

I used 1/2" copper coil for the HERMS exchanger. I used 1/2" on EVERYTHING that pumps water or wort on my system.

Dude.. SWEEEEEEEET Set up!!!!

Holly smokes! I'm So green with Envy!!!

I'm going to have to do something like this. I'll have to look at your pictures again and try and figure out what I need.

Whenever you get the part list together, that will be helpful but don't kill yourself over it. A couple more pictures of the inside when empty would help lots!

Hey, thanks... I appreciate your envy, sorta... yeah!

I will get some more pics and more details when I am in the process of my BK electric conversion and building my congtrol panel.

It really is a pretty simple build, nothing too complex in it.

If there are some specifics that you are curious about, Id be glad to answer your questions either here or via PM.

I have helped a few people build this setup that way, so Id be glad to help.

There may be some details and pics in a magazine coming to your doorstep soon, we will see, maybe... maybe.:D

Mens Health...

No no... I wont say, I dont want to jinx it... but you all are familiar with it.

Back