New here in East TN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarelyBrewing

Reaction score
Hello all,

After many years of enjoying different breweries and beers, I've decided to take steps to brew my own beer. I'm here primarily to learn. I have plenty of space at home and a little disposable income to throw into a home setup. My plan is to learn and build a kit I can grow into. I want something I can make, anything from a fruited sour to an IPA or high-gravity barrel-aged beers and barley wines. Those high-grav beers are the ones my wife is most interested in and are what got us into beers. We are originally from WI, and there are so many craft brewers with excellent high-gravity beers, but the selection is much less down here. Probably because the weather is nicer, it's difficult to drink a 15% dark beer when it's 100 degrees outside.

After some online browsing, the SS Brewtech 5-gallon setup looks like it would keep me busy for a good while, but it's clear how far I need to go before using it. That kit might as well be a spaceship, considering my current brewing knowledge. So I plan on using this place to network and hopefully orient myself a little better before making a purchase on a setup. I very much am a buy once cry once guy and brewing a beer I wouldn't pay for in a taproom just to do it doesn't interest me. This place is clearly a wealth of knowledge and I look forward to putting the pieces together and brewing some beer.

I have a bunch of other hobbies and have tried all sorts of things. I am always looking to learn something new.

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor!

You're in the right place to learn. Lots of great brewers here, willing to help.

Two books that will be of help are:

How to Brew, John Palmer (there's a free version online, but outdated)
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, Charlie Papazian

Both are great reference books to add to your library.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor!

You're in the right place to learn. Lots of great brewers here, willing to help.

Two books that will be of help are:

How to Brew, John Palmer (there's a free version online, but outdated)
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, Charlie Papazian

Both are great reference books to add to your library.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.
That's really helpful, thank you.

Back