New here, and have one question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyto

Reaction score
Hey all, I am smyto. A small town guy from Iowa who is getting very interested in homebrewing. Thanks to the mods and admins for the great site here!

I have one question...when my brew kit arrives, and I make my first batch....should I count on it being bad? Or usually does the first go-round come out OK? I am just curious. Thanks!:mug:

If you use a quality kit and follow the good basic procedures to the best of your ability, the beer will surprise you with its tastiness.

The thing is though, you need to follow good procedures. Not all the procedures they ship with the kits are very good. Some of them are downright silly. Read Howtobrew.com or pick up another basic brewing book. Read through it and you'll be pretty well able to make awesome beer from the first try...

My first extract beer was one of the best beers I've ever made. It was a simple pale ale with LME and Crystal 60 steeping grains, but it was enjoyed by all. If you pay close attention to sanitation and temperature control, your beer will be very good. Also remember that patience is important in brewing, and that beer at 4 weeks is much worse than the same beer at 8 or 12 weeks old.

Oh yeah, remember to say a six pack of your first batch to taste in a few months! Welcome to the obsession! :mug:

i just finished my first batch from a kit and i followed the instructions to a tee and it turned out great

what helped me was this website and doing google searches on how to brew before i ever started. Biggest thing is to make sure everything is clean

these videos helped me out a lot, Homebrewing Video - Beer Making & How To Make Beer Videos

I think as long as you follow the instructions, keep everything clean and give the beer / yeast enough time to do its job you'll be fine

out of curiousity what kit did you order?

If that were the case people wouldn't home brew, would they???? :D

Here, read this and see...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

One thing to remember is that your beer is hardier than most noobs give it credit...

Read this as well...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

Just follow basic procedures, especially sanitization, and then walk away and relax.

:mug:

This is one of the best recources....http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

HA! I never knew to save the first one for six months but it makes sense!

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I would also like to hear about how some of your guys' "first batches" came out too.

Man, am I excited....I already have Corny kegs all priced up. I am going to bottle a few batches first though to see how that goes.

Thanks again for the quick responses!!:mug:

This place is gr-r-r-r-r-r-r-eat!

My first batch was a Nut Brown Ale. It was an extract recipe kit. I was so nervous about everything. I even did a dry run to practice. I made a few mistakes (like dropping my stir spoon into the cooling wort). I had some attenuation problems, and my bottles did not carbonate evenly (I know why now). Despite this, the beer was good. Because of this, I have a hard time going back to non homebrews.

Pay close attention to sanitization and try to keep the primary fermentation within the ideal range for the yeast. (65F is good for your standard ale yeast, but read the recommend temp range for yours).
I'm sure your end up with some good beer, just remember to start you next batch soon.

My first batch was a west coast pale ale from the LHBS. It's kind of their standard first brew, and is therefore very simple but surprisingly tasty.

6.5# Alexander's LME
1# Crystal 60L
2oz Cascade Hops (1/2oz for 60m, 1/2oz for 30m, 1oz at flameout)
Wyeast 1056

Pretty simple:
1. Steep grains in a muslin bag in 1/2g of water at 155 for 30 minutes
2. Bring 5.5 gallons of water to boil (for full boil), and add water from steeping grains.
3. When boiling add first hop addition (1/2oz)
4. At 30 minutes into the boil add second hop addition (1/2oz)
5. At 60 minutes, add the last hop addition (1oz)
6. Chill wort to 70-80F
7. Rack wort to carboy and add yeast.

Ferment @ 68F for 3 weeks
Bottle with 2/3 cup of corn sugar
Let carbonate and age at room temperature for 3 weeks.

My first batch will be ready to drink this sunday. i tasted it when i racked and again when i bottled and it turned out good. i'll be real interested to see how it turns out now that it's carbonated and it has sat for a while

the biggest problem i had was keeping the temp up high enough to be in the idea brewing temp. space heater did the trick. i recomend puting something like a rug or something under the fermentor if your brewing on a basement floor

i recomend puting something like a rug or something under the fermentor if your brewing on a basement floor

for insulation, right?

thanks again to everyone for all the replys. good people here!

for insulation, right?

thanks again to everyone for all the replys. good people here!

Yeah it helps it keep its temp up. The concrete floor picks up the ground temp which in pittsburgh in jan is impossible to keep it warm.

smyto:

I'm also from Iowa (Ames) what about you. I've recently started brewing and it has quickly become a nice little, ok large, well fine then overwhelmingly huge pastime (or is that my job) of mine. Like everyone has said above keep things sanitary and get good directions and you'll be fine. My first one turned out great (American Pale Ale) and I have the same kit you do, plus a second fermenter from this weekend. The problem comes when you want to upgrade, you'll want it all.

im from des moines. maybe once i get going....we can meet and sample each others stuff man.

Latest posts

Back