New guy!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcnhc

Reaction score
Hi everybody!! I am a new guy to the forum. I have been extract brewing for about a couple of years with some friends but I have only made a few batches on my own. Last year we made a few batches that had a vinegar taste and 1 of our friends couldn't taste it so we stopped brewing for some time. During that time I also made 4 batches at home ( milk stout, black ale, 2 IPAs ) but the milk stout and the black ale tasted like vinegar. So we stopped brewing for a little while. Because only IPAS turn out ok I made a Sierra Nevada Celebration ale again and it was good.
I just recently got a mash tun ( rubbermaid cooler with valve spout )for partial mashing. I made a Left Hand Milk Stout last week and I am putting it into secondary tonight. I am super excited and hope it has turned out as delicious as it is in the bottle.
I look forward to talking with you folk about my favorite subject, BEER, and hope to learn alot.

Catch u later
Glenn

Sounds like you got an acetobacter infection in your equipement. Soaking in PBW or even a mild bleach solution should get rid of it.

Vinegar or green apple taste? Once you bottle the beer, if it is a vinegar taste it will continue to get worse but a green apple taste will disappear with time. The vinegar taste is an infection with acetobacter as Unionrdr said but the green apple flavor is acetaldehyde, one of the intermediate products of fermentation and the yeast will continue to break this down given some time.

Back