New guy with a potential issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDOMEL

Reaction score
OK, I am too excited to start new brews that I am moving my first brew to second stage after 10 days. Then I will let it sit for 7 more days then 2-3 weeks in bottles. My second brew will sit for 12 days in primary stage, just by timing of buckets. I am following BEV ART recommendations. I have a new issue with my second brew. It was brewed on 4/26. My first brew was bubbling in the air lock at 24 hours, this one has not bubbled through the air lock yet. If I push on the lid it bubbles. I opened the bucket and there is a ring about a half inch above the liquid, my first brew was an inch above the liquid. My second brew has a layer, very thin, on top with active bubbles. I am worried that since I am not having bubbling in the air lock then there is a fermentation issue. To me it has a slight rotten egg smell but I am over thinking and smelling everything. Any help is appreciated. By the way it is a Witbier

you might not have the lid or the airlock down securely. as for the rotten egg smell, that's sulfur, and happens during fermentation

You are watching too intently.

Go get a six-pack of your favorite beer and have a few.

Are you sure it's rotten egg and not banana?

What is your ambient temperature?

your probably worried for no reason.

did you take a hydrometer reading when you brewed it? take a reading now (sanitize anything that will touch your fermenting beer) if your reading has dropped...your fermenting. leave it alone.

there is a ring about a half inch above the liquid

has a layer, very thin, on top with active bubbles.

It's working, leave it be. Buckets can leak and not show any activity through the airlock.

Nothing you can do to it now. Just leave it alone and see what the end result is.

I would suggest getting the number of days outta your head. Go by your hydrometer NOT the calender.

Thanks everyone for the response. I did not take a hydrometer reading at first. I was under the impression that I only needed that if I cared about alcohol percentage. I have since learned the importance of that reading and will take it from now on. I will take the reading now and see if it changes. But then I will leave it alone. I will take a wiff and see if it is more banana or rotten eggs when I grab the reading. Just so I am clear, I take a reading after 10 days and when the number does not change for 2 days I can transfer it to my secondary. Thanks again for the help.

I take a reading after 10 days and when the number does not change for 2 days I can transfer it to my secondary.

Yes, 2 or 3 days. I always do 3 to be sure.

+1. Bubbling (or lack there of) in the airlock means nothing, other than being fun to watch. Once it is in the bucket, all the control rests in the yeast. Leave the work to them. Let it be until you start taking your hydrometer readings.

Thanks everyone for the response. I did not take a hydrometer reading at first. I was under the impression that I only needed that if I cared about alcohol percentage. I have since learned the importance of that reading and will take it from now on. I will take the reading now and see if it changes. But then I will leave it alone. I will take a wiff and see if it is more banana or rotten eggs when I grab the reading. Just so I am clear, I take a reading after 10 days and when the number does not change for 2 days I can transfer it to my secondary. Thanks again for the help.

There is no rush to transfer to Secondary. You don't even have to. It will be OK in the primary for a month or more.

I read here about not needing to transfer to secondary. But my LHBS suggests it even after I mentioned that it doesn't seem necessary. I am doing it at least these first few.

Back