New guy on Carbonation and Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtalon

Reaction score
So I finished fermenting my first batch of mead (fermented for 12 days in pales.

I transferred it to glass bottles and it's cloudy and slightly carbonated. I assume the cloudiness solves itself over the course of a week or two. But how do I get rid of the carbonation?

Edit: I'm new to homebrewing so any info and tips are welcome!

The cloudiness may settle out over time.

There's usually a small amount of dissolved CO2 left from fermentation. That might be your slight carbonation. Keep an eye on those bottles, because if fermentation was not done prior to bottling, you could end up with a LOT of carbonation. This could cause "bottle-bombs"--burst bottles. If you want to release the carbonation, pop the caps and re-cap with new ones.

The campden is added to stop fermentation.

Campden doesn’t stop fermentation; you need to wait until fermentation is completely done (not in two weeks, but instead much much later when the mead is clear enough to read a newspaper through and no longer dropping even a dusting of sediment). Campden is an antioxidant, and it “helps” sorbate to inhibit yeast reproduction. So neither will stop fermentation, but adding them both together long after the yeast has settled and the mead siphoned off (never, ever poured), will inhibit any fermentation from restarting.

Your mead wasn’t done fermenting, so put them someplace very safe so that you don’t get bottle grenades.

Okay I added some one way valves on the bottles anyways so gas can get out

Back