New Guy CO2 Tank Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

experiment626

Reaction score
Hey guys, my first post.

I've been homebrewing for a while and today I picked up a kegerator and a couple 20lb CO2 tanks off craigslist so I can start kegging. :rockin:

I was wondering. I am planning on putting the kegerator in the laundry room and it's somewhat close to the AC/Heater where its a good bit warmer than the rest of the house. I'm new to using CO2 and was wondering if there is any risk in this, as gas expands as it gets warmer.

Also, i'm not sure if it will effect the ability of my kegerator to cool beer.

Just wanted to check before I got started!

Thanks in advance

Not a kegger here, but here's what I know about compressed gasses. It is not a safety issue, having your CO2 tank near the heater, unless you're getting it heated to some extreme temp. Pressurized gas bottles like that are hauled in open truck beds in Phoenix's 115° F. heat, and in direct sunlight. I'm not sure what kind of temp. they're rated for, but I would think it would be well over 120° F.

As far as affecting your keggerator, (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here) I don't think it will have so much impact on your beer temp. that the keggerator won't be able to keep up. But, I believe you have to adjust the pressure that you carb/serve with, to accommodate what the pressure will be in the keg once the CO2 has cooled. But I may be wrong on this.

you'll be fine as long as that CO2 tank doesn't get hot.

as liquid CO2 becomes gas, it gets cold (much like propane...you'll see frost form when you get a propane tank refilled).

anyhow, the CO2 in the lines will warm up a bit, but it trickles into the keg so slowly that it won't affect your beer's temperature in any way, even if you pour 12 beers in a row, that's a little 80F CO2 against 5 gallons of 40F beer.

malkore said:
you'll be fine as long as that CO2 tank doesn't get hot.

as liquid CO2 becomes gas, it gets cold (much like propane...you'll see frost form when you get a propane tank refilled).

anyhow, the CO2 in the lines will warm up a bit, but it trickles into the keg so slowly that it won't affect your beer's temperature in any way, even if you pour 12 beers in a row, that's a little 80F CO2 against 5 gallons of 40F beer.

Right, plus the tap draws from the bottom...the coldest part of the keg...barely.
If anything, your keggerator compressor is just going to kick on a tad more than it would otherwise, as it is basically just a refrigerator.

The relief blowout on a CO2 bottle is 3000 PSI. That's over 500F on the pressure/temperature curve. Just don't try to make a kegger out of a self-cleaning oven.:D

Back