new grain mill - fifty pound sack suggestion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I just got a mill and am looking for suggestion for a 50 lb sack of grain . I brew mostly pale ales, IPA, or lighter lagers. Are some of cheaper 2 rows like rahr any good.

i buy 50 lb bags of rahr, as that's what my lhbs sells. works great for me, and tastes fine to all who drink my beer

2 row is the way to go for your first 50lb sack. I got one from tallgrass brewing company that is made by briess, i think any name brand 2-row will do you good!

I prefer Rahr to several others for 2 row.

I also buy sacks of Weyerman pilsner and munich.

Also get sacks of either maris otter or golden promise for english beers.

Pretty much any base grain will do you well. 2-Row, any brand is the backbone of most recipes. It is the lightest base grain in color and flavor. Then there are the more bready, slightly darker base grains Marris Otter, Munich, etc. Most seem to start with generic 2-row or 2-row pilsner.

I prefer Rahr to several others for 2 row.

I also buy sacks of Weyerman pilsner and munich.

Also get sacks of either maris otter or golden promise for english beers.

Yeah, bulk quantities of your favorite 2-row, pale ale malt, and pilsner malt is the way to go.

Yeah, I'm thinking a bag of rahr and then pick up the specialty grains in small quantities at the lhbs.

Back