New Glarus Spotted Cow beer sold illegally at bar in Maple Grove, Minn.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...eer-sold-illegally-at-bar-in-maple-grove-minn

A popular bar in Maple Grove, Minn. was caught selling “Spotted Cow” beer on Monday, which is only legal in Wisconsin. All brews made by the New Glarus Brewing Company are only distributed in Wisconsin due to limited supply.

After receiving an anonymous tip, undercover police traveled to Maple Tavern where they were served a glass of the Wisconsin-only beer.

Investigators also saw images of a Spotted Cow tap handle on Maple Tavern's Facebook page, and advertising indicating that the beer was available.

Since New Glarus Brewing Company is not a licensed manufacturer of alcohol in Minnesota, there are no licensed Minnesota distributors who are authorized to legally distribute the beer to retail establishments.

“Sorry about the limited distribution, non-Wisconsinites, there are only so many hours in the day to make beer and we can only keep up with the local demand,” the company says on its website.

David Lantos, a manager at Maple Tavern, had purchased Spotted Cow kegs for retail sale from Historic Casanova Liquor Store in Hudson, Wis. "Lantos is not licensed to transport or import alcoholic beverages into Minnesota for the purpose of resale," court documents said.

According to AGED (Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement Division) investigators, the info regarding limited distribution of New Glarus beer is “well known and common knowledge in the alcoholic beverage industry.”

This was interesting to me because there is a bar/resturant that will get kegs of Cigar City Brewing here in Raleigh maybe once a year, if that, because of his long-time friendship with the owner of CCB. I don't know the legality, but I'm pretty sure CCB doesn't distribute to North Carolina. I want to know the jerk who ratted the bar out. Seems shady and crappy.

While I understand it is illegal here, is there a whole lot of harm in what the Minnesota bar did? I feel like there isn't. The guy bought kegs and sold pours. I don't know if he sold them at a huge premium, but it wasn't like he sold pours out of the back of his van in an alley. He brought craft beer to people who would not otherwise be able to get the beer.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...eer-sold-illegally-at-bar-in-maple-grove-minn

While I understand it is illegal here, is there a whole lot of harm in what the Minnesota bar did? I feel like there isn't. The guy bought kegs and sold pours. I don't know if he sold them at a huge premium, but it wasn't like he sold pours out of the back of his van in an alley. He brought craft beer to people who would not otherwise be able to get the beer.

It is all about taxes...though the point-of-sale is also taxed I am pretty sure, like most states, MN taxes on the import or distribution as well.

New Glarius surely could up production (even if it required expanding) and distribute outside the state but I suspect they are happy with what they currently have for a market share. Many places that do expand find that their return on investment just isn't worth the extra hassle. Though I love Spotted Cow, I kind of applaud the brewery for sticking to their plan.

The competing bar reporting them is likely the case. I understand it, in theory. Right or wrong, nowadays bars likely have to think outside the box. Unfortunately, this one may bite them in the ass.

NG is available very easily in Hudson, about 30 miles from MSP. It is stacked to the ceilings.

NG got bit in the past with problems distributing outside of WI by distros not watching date codes.

The bar thought they were above the law and got bit, which they should.

Just because you don't like a particular law does not justify these type of actions.

Yes, alcohol laws are archaic in most of areas of the country and need to be changed.

I feel that moving toward laws that allow self importation of beer for resale with special permit and tax (much like DC) is for the best. It loosens laws while maintaining some type of control/accountability. It will also boost competitiveness, if the bar owner wants to drive to NG and pick up a pallet right from the brewery let them do so legally.

As was said, it boils down to tax and registration with the state of MN.

Although, brewers could control where their products are sold through self-importation agreements (such as no wholesale activities, limited to retail resale by importer only).

Episodes like this are not helping the cause of getting them changed. One bad apples spoils the whole bushel, or so they say.

It isn't like they put NG on tap and thought no one would know. Word is going to spread especially through mutual connections in the beer community. I would be pissed if I had a competing business.

Rules (although they might be dated and pointless) are to keep everyone playing fair. Petition for change if you don't like it. There is probably enough support for good beer in MN they should collect enough signatures to get it into a ballot measure and leave the politicians out of it.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just some ******* on the internet. ;)

Just speculating here... Maybe the bar owner didn't know about the requirement to pay an import tax? After all, don't most bar owners just deal with a distributor who handles all that? Probably didn't even cross his mind that he would need to pay an import tax. Probably just saw an opportunity to sell a popular beer that wasn't commercially distributed in his area, so he took the initiative to drive a little ways and pick up a keg or two of the stuff, not realizing he was violating state law. Just thought that maybe NG wasn't distributing in his state, so he'd just run and pick up some where they do distribute.
I wouldn't go looking for intent to do a run-around the law.

This sucks all the way around. The alcohol laws are archaic and often just plain silly in this day and age. The bar owner was wrong because he was playing unfairly by not following the laws that his competitors must. However, the law is pretty stupid, and he was just bringing beer to the people. The other bar owner (assuming that's who told) is in his/her rights, since he/she has to follow the laws. However, it's a ****ty thing to do regardless.

What I'm trying to say with my rambling is that many of this country's alcohol laws suck!

Just speculating here... Maybe the bar owner didn't know about the requirement to pay an import tax? After all, don't most bar owners just deal with a distributor who handles all that? Probably didn't even cross his mind that he would need to pay an import tax. Probably just saw an opportunity to sell a popular beer that wasn't commercially distributed in his area, so he took the initiative to drive a little ways and pick up a keg or two of the stuff, not realizing he was violating state law. Just thought that maybe NG wasn't distributing in his state, so he'd just run and pick up some where they do distribute.
I wouldn't go looking for intent to do a run-around the law.

He was violating the three tier system. It would be fair to say that they know they have to get their beer from a distributor.

I don't believe there is such an import tax in MN, probably just another excise tax that distributors pay.

In ND for example, the last time I checked beer excise tax was something like $2 a barrel for kegs and a little bit more for bottles/cans. It can't be that much.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse but may be a mitigating factor in prosecution.

The police are there to investigate whether a crime probably occured. Which is what appears happened. The court room is where it is decided if laws were actually broken.

Not to mention the prosecution might cut a deal or drop the charges before it even reaches court, which I assume will happen in this case.

Or the bar will probably just take a ding on their liquor license. It happens occasionally in my neck of the woods for serving minors. Usually lose the license for several days and put on "probation".

But yes, freedom from archaic liquor laws would solve this in ways outlined by my previous post.

Also see aforementioned post for disclaimer. Lol.

As the saying goes, Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity..."

Yeah, the bar owner may have known better, but then again, he may not have known he would have to pay an "excise tax" on an imported keg. Yeah, he violated the "3-tier system" but hey... there's no distributing that stuff in his state, so he couldn't get it from a distributor. :)

As the saying goes, Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity..."

Yeah, the bar owner may have known better, but then again, he may not have known he would have to pay an "excise tax" on an imported keg. Yeah, he violated the "3-tier system" but hey... there's no distributing that stuff in his state, so he couldn't get it from a distributor. :)

True.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I wonder if they have had some other license issues in the past, given the level of stupidity on this one.

Back