New Garage - Setup Input Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumForHire

Reaction score
My wife and I are finishing up on buying a house, and I've hit the jackpot with the garage. It's a 3 car garage and is heated by a natural gas furnace (a huge luxury in Minnesota). I've been using a propane burner to heat my 8 gallon BIAB kettle, but I'm wondering if I should hook up a natural gas burner to the line. Is there any advantage to using natural gas (aside from not having to go fill a propane tank) and is there any recommended natural gas burner? Thanks for any advice!

To my knowledge there are only two popular burner styles that are adaptable to natural gas operation - multi-tip "jet" burners (with low pressure jets) and the venerable bg14 cast iron beast (with a low pressure orifice). I don't think there has been much success with bg10 or bg12 burners on NG (as found on SP10 and SQ14 stands). There are more exotic burners that are purpose-designed for natural gas but they can be pricey.

Regardless, solid ventilation - and for sure a reliable CO detector - are still required...

Cheers!

I've used blichmann burner on ng for years and it worked really well brewing 10 gallon batches. They sell an orifice that allows you to use ng.

NG requires a bigger orifice in the burner than propane, and burns with less output; long story short, you'll need a bigger burner to convert from propane to NG.

Personally, I would go electric as well. The controllers allow for very fine temperature control and alerts, as opposed to fiddling with dials and valves.

I also have a blichmann burner. Early this year I moved into a house with a gas line on the patio outside. I bought NG conversion kit for the burner and a NG hose.

Aside from the convenience of never having to get an LP tank refilled, NG is MUCH cheaper for me. This is comparing LP in the typical gas grill size exchangeable tank and the rates for NG my area.

Two of the big advantages people cite for switching to electric are cost savings and convenience. NG is just as convenient for me, and provides most of the cost savings as well.

Thanks for the input, all. I'd love to switch to electric, but with a new house funds are gonna be tight. Might just be best for me to stick with what I have and save up for while. Thanks again!

Thanks for the input, all. I'd love to switch to electric, but with a new house funds are gonna be tight. Might just be best for me to stick with what I have and save up for while. Thanks again!

Iirc, the way I figured it, each LP tank refill cost me $15, and the equivalent amount of NG was $2.50. At $12.50 per tank refill of savings, the NG burner would pay for itself before long.

Also try to find a commercial stock pot burner. Look for a used restaurant equipment place or troll ebay or craigslist

What burner do you have? You can also just drill out the jet without buying a conversation kit. Just do your homework. Natural gas is much better then dealing with propane. I have a few natural gas burners under my electric kettles in case the power ever goes out.

This is the best part of homebrewing at the house you get to tweak it to what works for you and your conditions the gas seems like a great option you could still do a Brutus 20 with gas and it's a two vessel type system it's okay about the gas it's just that the gas needs to be in a well-ventilated area during brewing but you probably already figured that out if funds are very tight look for Craigslist or thrift stores for finding additional pots or kettles

The other thing to consider is plumbing it's nice to have a sink and a floor drain

Back