New forums?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I like to have lots of forums so they don't get so cluttered and would like to do it in the start so I don't have to manually move posts when a suggestion is made to create a new one.

If you have a suggestion on a new forum please suggest it I would really like to hear it.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
I don't know how flexible the inferstructure of this site is, but if it were possible, it would be helpful for those browsing the "techniques" section if there could be some top subcategories, perhaps divided along the major methods of brewing (Extract, Partial Mash, All Grain), and perhaps also divided along the primary steps of Brewing (Grain prep/mashing, The Boil, Wort Prep/cooling, Yeast prep/pitching, Fermentation- prime and secondary, Bottling Kegging [which I see already has its own Forum], cellaring/ageing). Perhaps such an extensive break down would be a bit cluttered, but it would help focus the discussion in each forum, and make it easier to find specific topics. On the whole, great job with this relatively new forum!

Janx

Reaction score
I agree that breaking it down into lots of specific topics is a good idea. It will make the content easier to search and use down the road. The ones mentioned above are good ones.

The equipment forum could be broken down more probably. A DIY forum for building equipment could be fun. Recipes could be broken down into a zillion categories to be most useful.

Draft systems could be a good one once some more of us are around who keg. Keep bottling/kegging as the conditioning forum, but make a draft systems forum or sub-forum. There's a lot involved with draft systems.

Each major step of all-grain brewing could have a forum.

Perhaps you should take a first swing at a forum breakdown/outline, post it here, and we can all kick it around. Once it looks good to most everyone, you can set up the new structure.

It definitely seems like a good idea to do this now before you have to move a ton of posts.

DesertBrew

Dirty blonde
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Txbrew,
I run vbulletin at work as well and I once tried the sub-category concept and it just didn't seem to function as I thought it would. Felt clumsy. Maybe you've already tried...

I still think a sanitation area would be very good. Those questions always seem to be cropping up.

NUCC98

Reaction score
I think an all-purpose Guide For New Brewers would be great too. Not that it's not fun to finally be able to answer the same questions I had a couple months ago, but it does tend to clutter.....

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
Should the FAQ section fulfill this purpose? I would think that having both an faq and a intro to brewing would result in quite a bit of redundancy, but if their organization and useability where sufficiently different, it might be worth it none the less.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
TxBrew said:
I like to have lots of forums so they don't get so cluttered and would like to do it in the start so I don't have to manually move posts when a suggestion is made to create a new one.

If you have a suggestion on a new forum please suggest it I would really like to hear it.

I think a beer review forum would be great, I know a lot of us actively search out new brews to try and this could help. We could review on a scale of 1-5 for each category:
appearance, aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability. Just like some of the other review sites on the web

OP
OP
TxBrew

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All the "Regional Home Brew Discussion" was my attempt at creating regional reviews. Perhaps I should retitled them or combine them into one? Beer and Wine review section?

All good suggestions. I think dividing the stages would be a good idea in the long run. Sanitation is a good idea as well. I am going to watch a little while longer and see what subjects most of the new threads are about then create a new structure here and then you guys pick and choose as you see fit.

SwAMi75

Banned
Reaction score
A few of us here have been swapping brews for sampling and critiquing, and just for the fun of it.

I think a forum dedicated to "swapping/critiquing" would be really cool. It would be a good way for those of us on this forum who want to refine our recipes to get together and sample one another's beers, and post a public review. Plus, it's always fun to try new beers!

Sam

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sam75 said:
A few of us here have been swapping brews for sampling and critiquing, and just for the fun of it.

I think a forum dedicated to "swapping/critiquing" would be really cool. It would be a good way for those of us on this forum who want to refine our recipes to get together and sample one another's beers, and post a public review. Plus, it's always fun to try new beers!

Sam

Good idea....I'm gonna be stingy on what I send out though...if I'm proud of a beer it will be worth it.....but if it costs 8-10 bucks to send out 2-3 beers, I'm drawing the line.... :p
I think another thing that would be cool is if we have any experienced beer judges on the forum if they would step-up and judge beer for us....I think that would be awesome to get a real certified beer judge's opinion on a beer I'm proud of....down the road of course.....

Individual asking judge for a review/judgement sends this form filled out along with brew:
Entry/Recipe form
Judge sends back this form, completed with score:
Score sheet

Cool?

rightwingnut

Reaction score
That's an awesome idea, orr. Especially since we don't get tons of beer festivals over here as they do out west.

SwAMi75

Banned
Reaction score
orrelse said:
Good idea....I'm gonna be stingy on what I send out though...if I'm proud of a beer it will be worth it.....but if it costs 8-10 bucks to send out 2-3 beers, I'm drawing the line.... :p
I think another thing that would be cool is if we have any experienced beer judges on the forum if they would step-up and judge beer for us....I think that would be awesome to get a real certified beer judge's opinion on a beer I'm proud of....down the road of course.....

Individual asking judge for a review/judgement sends this form filled out along with brew:
Entry/Recipe form
Judge sends back this form, completed with score:
Score sheet

Cool?

Hey, we got the forum!! I'm for using the forms, esp. from the brewer. It would be cool to see what other people are brewing in their homes, and how their stuff differs from our own.

I think the judge cards might be a little tough for most of us to fill out, but it would be nice to get one from a good judge. I think I would include a "brew sheet" with my beers, but I wouldn't expect a judge sheet in return. I say we keep those accessible within the forum so everyone has access, should they choose to use them.

Matter of fact, I think I will post the links you gave, Brandon. Might be good to have them stickied there.

I'd like to see this take off. I'm stoked. :D

Sam