New Fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMBrewer

Reaction score
I am very excited, I just got a great deal on a 15 (17) gallon conical fermenter!

I am now in search of the right size kettle for 15 gallon batches. How many gallon kettle should I buy? One more question, where is a good spot to find 15 gallon recipes? I am converting one of my coolers into a mashtun Thursday!

My leap into AG! How exciting!

If you are going to make 15 gallon batches then I would think you'll need at least a 20 gallon kettle and a good burner to get it to a boil. Do you have a nice cool area for temperature control?

ya 15 gallon fermenter= 12 gallon batches
JJ

Not necessarily. The brewery I worked in put 14bbl of wort in 14bbl fermenter with little to no waste in the blow off. If you use Fermcap in the fermenter it will keep the krausen down to a minimum. So you could get 14 gallons in that fermenter without too much problem.

John

A 15 gallon pot will work for 12 gallon batches but 14 gallons of wort would require a bigger 20 gallon pot.

Yeah, I did get that on e-bay. Picked it up for $107.50. For AG I would need a large kettle 15 gallon, ok. If I was to to extract batches I would probably need just a ten gallon pot with about 6-7 gallons of wort, right?

Also it is a 17 gallon tank so 15 gallon batches can be done.

How about this... http://morebeer.com/view_product/6615/103457/Heavy_Duty_Kettle_60_Quart_15_Gallon

Would that be a good kettle?

If you are going to make 15 gallon batches then I would think you'll need at least a 20 gallon kettle and a good burner to get it to a boil. Do you have a nice cool area for temperature control?

I am in the process of building a climate controlled area of my garage.

Yeah, I did get that on e-bay. Picked it up for $107.50. For AG I would need a large kettle 15 gallon, ok. If I was to to extract batches I would probably need just a ten gallon pot with about 6-7 gallons of wort, right?

Also it is a 17 gallon tank so 15 gallon batches can be done.

How about this... http://morebeer.com/view_product/6615/103457/Heavy_Duty_Kettle_60_Quart_15_Gallon

Would that be a good kettle?

That would work ok for 10 gal batchs. I have a stainless one like that and do 11 gal batchs in it all the time. But with every brew I ***** that I should have bought a 80qt kettle. Starting the boil only an inch from the top sucks.

Latest posts

Back