New fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose5

Reaction score
I have been trying to go stainless. First the Spike CF5. When the flex came out I thought well that it. I just can't pry my wallet open. How the Speidel fermenters? Anyone had infection problems because of the spigot? I've seen videos on how you can do pressure transfers with these things? Any truth to that, or is it another do at your own risk kind of situation?

I have not been able to pull the trigger. I asked about the Speidel spigot because I had a bottling bucket that I tried as a fermenter once. A friend advised not to use it as a fermenter.

I have not been able to pull the trigger. I asked about the Speidel spigot because I had a bottling bucket that I tried as a fermenter once. A friend advised not to use it as a fermenter.

I think the spike stuff is top shelf, but one thing the plastic fermenters have going for them is they're generally easier and faster to clean--although the 5-gallon spike fermenters are small enough you can get at them more easily. I have a CF10 and it stays on its legs and casters.

I also have several Bigmouth Bubblers from Northern Brewer. My original one had no spigot; I bought a second BMB with a spigot, and it didn't take me but one brew to buy another spigot, drill a hole in the original fermenter and add that spigot.

I've brewed...maybe 50 brews in them?--and I've never had an issue with the spigots. You just have to recognize what they are and clean them properly. Typically I'd remove the spigot every time, soak it in some PBW solution for a while, run a small brush through it, rinse it well, then toss in a small container of Star-San for a bit.

Then I'd toss the spigot and washers and plastic nut into the BMB, not assembling it until the time I used it. I'd toss the spigot into some star san, swish star san around the fermenter, then install the spigot.

Sounds complicated, but it's not. And there's no way I'd willingly go back to a fermenter requiring a siphon after having used spigots.

I don't have a Spiedel, but the spigot i see in the pictures doesn't look any more complicated than the ones I have with my BMBs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sold-1-2-L...002058?hash=item4b6100fd8a:g:~GQAAOSwhMpT0JNO
these work very well as an option too. or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Gallon-C...607616?hash=item3f563a66c0:g:dLQAAOSwEeFVJnwi
.. They work excellent with one of these cooling jackets.
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

they are completely sanitary with no weldless fittings to deal with. (even more so if you replace the valves with butterfly valves) and I have done "pressure" transfers at a couple psi with mine however they are not really designed for it.

plus as a true conical you can dump the trub and dead yeast waste easily.

The CF5 is a great fermenter.. just throwing these out there as another option.

Back