new fermenter - cleaning practices for SS fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimyoung

Reaction score
Hey everyone! After noticing some weird etching on my glass carboys, then googling "are glass carboys actually dangerous", I decided to ditch them and move to SS (I'm done, decided- let's not argue about that decision here :) ). FWIW, I'm debating between the SS brewtech 7 gal brew bucket or the more economical Anvil 7 gal bucket.

Both have spigots and dip tubes, which is awesome. My question is what are peoples cleaning regimens? Do you remove the spigot each time and soak it? My stainless kettle spigot hasn't been removed in 5 years, I just run hot water through to clean it after and before using it. The boil sanitizes it anyway.

It also feels wierd to have that spigot hanging outside the bucket. Before racking, youtubers just spray it down with starsan..... I suppose that's good enough.

Also, my diversol clearly is a bad idea for the stainless. I'm happy enough using iodophor for sanitation. SS Brewtech recommends straight TSP for cleaning, and Starsan for passivation (something I never heard of before).

Any input is welcome!!!

I initially ordered the Anvil but sent it back to the manufacturing marks on the inside. Some were deep enough to catch a fingernail.
I then bought the SSBT Brewbucket. It doesn't have the manufacturing marks like the Anvil does but I absolutely hate the dip tube. The two o rings suck. They don't last as they stretch. If you go w SSBT order extra o rings.
I saw a new Anvil fermenter maybe on YouTube and it looks like they changed the dip tube. Looks like a better set up then the brew bucket.
I also just received the Fermzilla All Rounder..I can ferment under pressure which you can't do with the SSBT or Anvil plus much cheaper.
As for cleaning the brew bucket I rinse then clean with Oxy. I always remove the valve and soak it in Oxy. The o rings can get cruddy and don't want any infections.
To sanitize I add about a half gallon of starsan put the lid on then shake. I drain through the valve then dump out whatever starsan remains.

Thanks for the tip on the extra O rings. I agree, the anvil's use of a teflon washer seems to be meant to swivel. I was worried with the SSBT that the nut would come loose and it'd leak while I was turning it...

I did order the SSBT today, and I was thinking about the dip tube. Then I noted you said the two o-rings. Just to confirm, the instructions say to only use one o-ring in installation, the other is extra. check out page 2: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0239/5187/files/Brew_Bucket_QSG2.pdf?14833513075833251814

You probably only used one, but thought I'd mention it.
It's the two small cheap ass o rings that fit on the dip tube. Unless they redesigned it you need to use two for it to fit snug in the valve.

oh those o rings! I thought you meant the seal for the spigot mount. Apologies.

I wonder if you can lubricate it with something.. it says to use starsan, but I'd imagine after it's fermented it'd be wet in there.

I put a thin coat of keg lube but they stretch and after a few uses they slip off. I have been putting the racking arm with the o rings in the freezer prior to use. I then either coat w keg lube or spray with starsan then insert.
They should have designed that differently.
Enjoy your new fermenter.

Back