New extract brewer summer temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMedic

Reaction score
Hello, was wondering what a good beer (kit) was for hot summer temps. I can control my temps effectively at this point between 66F and 72f. Being honest it'll prob run towards the hotter of that (so not sure how effective that really is yet...). I'm looking to brew my third kit in about 2 weeks and was wondering what advice there was as to brewing with slightly warmer temps. I keep seeing Saison come up so I'm looking into that, any other ideas? I use a plastic container in my closet with ice bottles to control temp so I'm still figuring out how many bottles cools down how many degrees. Thanks in advance!

Just to clarify, it's not the beer kit or the type of beer you have to consider but rather what strain of yeast you will be using in those kits. Like you mentioned, saison yeast has a very good temperature range and saisons are considered to be a great summer beer. I've haves good success with white labs hefeweizen yeast as well (wlp300). If you like hefeweizens, that yeast will produce stronger banana esters at the warmer end of its temp range

Look at Northern Brewers Petite Saison with WY3711. Temp range for 3711 is 65-77F. I have my fourth batch in a fermentor right now. Light peppery flavor. Mine have finished 1.006 to 1.003. Just added an aquarium heater to keep the wort at 74° to 75°. Hoping for a 1.002 finish.

There should be a nice chart (if you do some searching) of acceptable temperature ranges for different yeast strains. Before I could control temperatures well, I fermented with a number of strains hotter than those temperatures and got acceptable results.

Or, as mentioned, saison / farmhouse strains are notoriously temperature-resilient. An all-Brett fermentation also likes heat.

Back