New England IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTM-oh

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a good recipe for a NE-IPA, like Suh Bruh by Old Nation. This style has become very popular but I have not found a lot of recipes from reliable sources.

Right now my best shot for a 5G batch is:
1 # Rice Hulls
12 # Pilsner
1 # Cara-Pils/Dex
1 # Oats, Flaked
1 # Wheat Flaked

mash @ 150F for 75 mins

1 # Milk Sugar during boil

2 oz of Amarillo & Citra steep/whirlpool 15 mins at 194.4 F (expect OG 1.087)

Juice (Imperial Yeast #38) ferment @ 67F Primary and Secondary

1 oz of Amarillo & Citra at time of pitch for 4 days
10 days secondary.

Anyone have any NE-IPA experience or comments?

I'm trying to come up with a good recipe for a NE-IPA, like Suh Bruh by Old Nation. This style has become very popular but I have not found a lot of recipes from reliable sources.

Right now my best shot for a 5G batch is:
1 # Rice Hulls
12 # Pilsner
1 # Cara-Pils/Dex
1 # Oats, Flaked
1 # Wheat Flaked

mash @ 150F for 75 mins

1 # Milk Sugar during boil

2 oz of Amarillo & Citra steep/whirlpool 15 mins at 194.4 F (expect OG 1.087)

Juice (Imperial Yeast #38) ferment @ 67F Primary and Secondary

1 oz of Amarillo & Citra at time of pitch for 4 days
10 days secondary.

Anyone have any NE-IPA experience or comments?
Grain bill great mash is kinda low. I’d mash 154 and then eliminate the lactose. That way you finish a little higher for a tad more sweetness and won’t need the lactose.

Now hops, you are about 6-8 ozs too short for the style. You should be using a minimum of 10-12 oz in total and should not be using a secondary fermenter at all. That’s just asking for oxidation issues.

I would use .5 oz of each with 20 minutes left in boil. Then double your planned whirlpool. Then do 3oz citra and 3 oz Amarillo split between 2 additions, first one with 5 days left too kegging and the next with 2 days kegging.

I’m surprised you’re having trouble finding resources, I feel everyone and their mother is putting out recipes for this and there are many scientific resources coming out by guys such as shellhammer and Janish

Last edited:
I use about 16#'s in my NEIPA as well. Beer was 8.8 abv

11.5 2row
1.5 Munich
1 flaked oats
1 flaked wheat
1 white wheat
Rice hulls

I mashed @148 for 20-30 min then 154 for 45 min if I remember right.

No lactose

I'd go lower temp on your whirlpool if I were you .

.25oz columbus 60min
.5 cascade 10min
.5 Columbus 5min

Whirlpool Amarillo, Simcoe, Mosaic with .5 oz of each.

Dry hop on second day of fermentation then again 4 days before packaging.

Agree , dont do secondary .
20181219_143429.jpg

Last edited:
Adding my typical NEIPA recipe here as well

10lbs 2-row
2.5lbs Flaked Oats
3lbs White Wheat Malt
1lbs Flaked Wheat
Rice Hulls

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes
Mashout and Fly Sparge at 170 for 45 minutes
Boil 60 mins
Whirlpool at 150 degrees for 25 minutes
Chill, transfer to fermenter, and pitch US04/A38Juice/1318 (whatever i have handy. All have worked well). I ferment A38 or 1318 at 67, and us04 at 64

Hop Schedule typical like this
.5-.75oz Warrior at 60
5-6oz during whirlpool
2-3oz during day 2 or 3 of active fermentation
5-6oz 2 days before cold crash

I'm usually grain to keg within 7 days. If i'm shooting for a Milkshake style, i'll reduce the mash temp down to 152, and then add .75lbs of Lactose at flameout, and either vanilla beans during primary, or .4oz of pure Vanilla extract to the keg

DO NOT let oxygen anywherre into your brew process. Keg this style, when you ferment, once the fermentation has finished, purge the headspace whenever you have to open for dryhopping. Closed transfer to your completely co2 purged and sanitized keg, and purge a handful of times when you put it in your keezer and hook up to gas

EDIT - adding a pic of mine. This was a Strawberry Milkshake IPA
JV23fIl.png

Last edited:
Food for thought: I've been eliminating the flaked oat/wheat from my NEIPA grain bills lately as I had been getting a slick mouthfeel in a lot of my beers, that I found unappealing, and I had read that the flaked grains can increase oxidation risks (who knows if either of those are true btw). I started replacing the flaked grain with malted oat and carafoam and have been very happy with the results. Here is my latest NEIPA (74.6% pale ale malt, 10.2% carafoam, 6.8% munich 10, 6.8% malted oats, 1.7% acid malt):
20191005_113340-jpeg.646968

Grain bill great mash is kinda low. I’d mash 154 and then eliminate the lactose. That way you finish a little higher for a tad more sweetness and won’t need the lactose.

Now hops, you are about 6-8 ozs too short for the style. You should be using a minimum of 10-12 oz in total and should not be using a secondary fermenter at all. That’s just asking for oxidation issues.

I would use .5 oz of each with 20 minutes left in boil. Then double your planned whirlpool. Then do 3oz citra and 3 oz Amarillo split between 2 additions, first one with 5 days left too kegging and the next with 2 days kegging.

I’m surprised you’re having trouble finding resources, I feel everyone and their mother is putting out recipes for this and there are many scientific resources coming out by guys such as shellhammer and Janish
Since everyone is posting beautiful pictures of their hb, I want to add to it!
9EAD37A1-1798-47FB-A650-F99D6067FA02.jpeg

Never tried one that I liked, so I have never brewed one. But, the low amount of hops in the OP struck me also. Maybe triple up on what was mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. This recipe was suppose to have come from a contact of the brewer, You know the internet is always right. I plan to share the results on this thread. My brew date is 10-26-19. Also, I left one ingredient , 3 ml Hop Shot during the last 15 minuets of the boil.:yes:

I also listed the wrong brewery, It is Streetside Brewery in Cincinnati OH. Boss Tweed was from Old Nation. Sorry:no:

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. This recipe was suppose to have come from a contact of the brewer, You know the internet is always right. I plan to share the results on this thread. My brew date is 10-26-19. Also, I left one ingredient , 3 ml Hop Shot during the last 15 minuets of the boil.:yes:
I wouldn’t waste time with the hopshot that near to end of boil. They’re to boost IBUS not elevate hop flavor/aroma. Now if it was hop hash that’s a different story.

Food for thought: I've been eliminating the flaked oat/wheat from my NEIPA grain bills lately as I had been getting a slick mouthfeel in a lot of my beers, that I found unappealing, and I had read that the flaked grains can increase oxidation risks (who knows if either of those are true btw). I started replacing the flaked grain with malted oat and carafoam and have been very happy with the results. Here is my latest NEIPA (74.6% pale ale malt, 10.2% carafoam, 6.8% munich 10, 6.8% malted oats, 1.7% acid malt):
20191005_113340-jpeg.646968

Where is this glass from. I like it.

10 LB Golden Promise
2 LB Flaked Barley
2 LB Malted Oats
12oz Golden Naked Oats

Mash at 154 to 156 to avoid Lactose addition (GROSS!)

Take your pick on a pair of hops but they should be incrementally bigger as you go.

60min should be about 7 AAU (that's like a 1/2 oz of 14%AA hops like Galaxy or Citra)

10 min addition, 30 AAU like an ounce each of Citra and Amarillo or Galaxy and Vic Secret.

10 min Whirlpool @ 175F, 50 AAU split between your pair.

Dry hop on approximately the last day of activity, 1 oz per gallon (split between your pairs). Cold crash 3-4 days later and get it kegs as soon as the chunks drop out.

Handle this beer like a spec of oxygen will destroy it, because it will.

Back