New England DIPA - Yeast & Ferment time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTrOvErT

Reaction score
Planning my first New England style IPA soon.

I know that Conan and 1318 yeast have been popular for this style. I don't have access to those at the moment, so wondering if anyone has had experience with Omega 052 (DIPA Ale Yeast)? Thoughts for this style?

Also, I read everywhere that one key step for this style is to do one of the dry hop stages near the end of primary fermentation, but while still actively fermenting. I also see that many of the first dry hop additions noted on recipes say at 5 days. I'm assuming this means 5 days from bottling/kegging?

So does this mean only a 7 day overall ferment, from pitching to bottling/kegging? Or am I understanding this wrong? If so, what's the dry hop timeframe as well as the overall time in the fermentor?

Thanks!

Some people do the first dry hop at one or two days after pitching the yeast. Four or five days after pitching is the longest I would wait for the first dry hop. Do the first dry hop during high krausen or right after high krausen.

Keep the first dry hop in for two to five days, then either rack to a keg with the second dry hop or remove the first dry hop and drop in the second. Let the yeast ferment for a total of two to three weeks just like any other ale of similar gravity.

What are you trying to achieve with the yeast? Are you trying to get the fruity/candied esters?

I always thought you needed a NE yeast to make a nice NE style IPA. Well I don't think that's true. You can make one just as creamy and hazy with american ale yeast. The key is lots of flaked wheat/oats/barley!

Of course no bittering addition, all whirpool and a massive dry hop!

What are you trying to achieve with the yeast? Are you trying to get the fruity/candied esters?

I always thought you needed a NE yeast to make a nice NE style IPA. Well I don't think that's true. You can make one just as creamy and hazy with american ale yeast. The key is lots of flaked wheat/oats/barley!

Of course no bittering addition, all whirpool and a massive dry hop!

With the yeast, following written advice on the style, I.e. Medium to low flocc yeast with some fruity character. You think there's enough fruity craziness from the hops that this is not critical?

Though, I'm also wondering how US-04 would work with this style. Thoughts?

Regarding flaked stuffs. What percentage is reasonable to shoot for?

Regarding bittering additions, most recipes I've seen call for enough boil additions to produce around 35 IBU. If early boil addition, favoring FWH.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Some people do the first dry hop at one or two days after pitching the yeast. Four or five days after pitching is the longest I would wait for the first dry hop. Do the first dry hop during high krausen or right after high krausen.

Keep the first dry hop in for two to five days, then either rack to a keg with the second dry hop or remove the first dry hop and drop in the second. Let the yeast ferment for a total of two to three weeks just like any other ale of similar gravity.

What would be the effect of leaving the first dry hop addition in for the entire 3 week ferment? And just add the second addition on top of it?

Thanks!!

With the yeast, following written advice on the style, I.e. Medium to low flocc yeast with some fruity character. You think there's enough fruity craziness from the hops that this is not critical?

Though, I'm also wondering how US-04 would work with this style. Thoughts?

Regarding flaked stuffs. What percentage is reasonable to shoot for?

Regarding bittering additions, most recipes I've seen call for enough boil additions to produce around 35 IBU. If early boil addition, favoring FWH.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I know 10 to 20 percent flaked oats works well.

I like to do around 30 IBU via bittering addition, and then the rest at whirlpool around 160 F. Plenty of people do flameout additions, just be aware there is still some isomerization/utilization above 180 F or so.

I know that Conan and 1318 yeast have been popular for this style. I don't have access to those at the moment, so wondering if anyone has had experience with Omega 052 (DIPA Ale Yeast)? Thoughts for this style?

You're in luck. Omega 052 IS Conan!
I have a starter of it spinning right now, and wow does it smell fruity!

Back