New England Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munns86

Reaction score
So I am planning on making a 5 gallon batch of New England cider. I was planning on using boiled cider 2:1 I think to up the sugar. I was wondering if someone knew what my OG should read before I pitch the yeast.

don't boil your cider.
aside from that, what exactly are you asking? i have never heard of new england cider as a style. certain abv or something?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Styles_of_Cider#28A._New_England_Cider

it is a style of cider that has a higher ABV.

You take cider and you boil it down to condense the sugars and get more of an apple flavor. You add my small amount like maple syrup.

I don't know how much to add so I was wondering If I'm looking to finish with something around 9% ABV then what should my OG be before I add yeast?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Styles_of_Cider#28A._New_England_Cider

it is a style of cider that has a higher ABV.

You take cider and you boil it down to condense the sugars and get more of an apple flavor. You add my small amount like maple syrup.

I don't know how much to add so I was wondering If I'm looking to finish with something around 9% ABV then what should my OG be before I add yeast?

Shenanigans!

NE cider is strong abv cider made with fruit (raisins, etc) and sometimes added sugar to boost the abv. It is made to be especially strong (I have made it), and it has absolutely nothing to do with boiling it.

NE cider is strong abv cider made with fruit (raisins, etc) and sometimes added sugar to boost the abv. It is made to be especially strong (I have made it), and it has absolutely nothing to do with boiling it.

turns out i have made many new england ciders then and very much enjoy them when they are dry. huzzah!

still can't answer the OP's question though. why not just use frozen apple juice concentrate, like a ton of them, instead of boiling juice and setting pectin, etc....

4.5 gallons of apple juice and 10 cans of frozen concentrate should just about do it.

turns out i have made many new england ciders then and very much enjoy them when they are dry. huzzah!

still can't answer the OP's question though. why not just use frozen apple juice concentrate, like a ton of them, instead of boiling juice and setting pectin, etc....

4.5 gallons of apple juice and 10 cans of frozen concentrate should just about do it.

Yuck. Why use concentrate when you can seek out actual cider apples or use good raisins or oak chunks to add in flavor?

It takes a bit of skill, and a touch of intuition, but anyone can do it.

Here's what I did last year:

Primary:

10 gallons of fresh juice (straight off the cider press, took some finagling, but real fun to see it done!!)

2# of dark brown sugar (Moskovado Sugar to be exact)

1# of honey (wildflower)

2# of raisins (homemade in my oven because most industrial raisins are coated with oil)

4 dried dates

Take off the lees and out from under the formerly dried fruit:

French Oak Cubes (enough for 5 gal, divided into two for each carboy)​

Let sit, age and with the oak 10 weeks.

Bottle with priming sugar.

My cider came out red, might be ready by summer, hopefully will be simply amazing by next Thanksgiving. I have to make 10 gallons because I'm not usually patient enough to cellar each batch long enough before it is drinkable.

The raisins and the oak add in tannins and make it really tasty. I have relatives in Maine who claim that they used to use rotten meat in oak barrels during prohibition to "up the alcohol" (my guess is feed the yeast.) I can't imagine how funky that brew must have been.

I am never worried about inoculating the juice. There are very few things in it that will actually hurt anything. I've done test batches inoculating half and leaving the other half be. The "wild yeast" batch is always better!!

New England hard cider is whatever you decide it is. As a New Englander, I give you permission to add in concentrate, but you won't catch me doing so!!!
:mug:

PS.
You can source good apples here: http://www.orangepippin.com/

Back