New Decemberists, southern tier oak aged seies two, and porter brewing.(11am drunk)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
Some days make life worth living.

Its 11am during spring break and i am brewing up a porter that i came up with on the fly after accidentally buying the wrong yeast.

2.50 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 29.83 %
2.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 29.83 %
1.00 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 11.93 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.97 %
0.38 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4.53 %
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU
1.00 lb Maple Syrup (20min)(35.0 SRM) Sugar 11.93 %
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

we'll see how it goes, its thrown togather from grains i had lying around.

On top of it i am drinking Southern teir's oak aged series two, it is one of the best slow drinkng beers ive ever had. the series one was so-so, but this is really something. Its aroma sweet and oaky with a hint of bourban. the flavor is complex, starting off very sweet but quickly giving way to a strong alcohol hotness(no surprise at 11 percent). But finishing with a bit of bitter bourban. The texture is creamy.

New decemberists album(downloaded illegaly), is good too. boardering on metal/hardrock. A bit uncharicteristic for them, but in a decemberists style. Shades of smashing pumpkins and alice in chains. Tons of female vocals, doesnt sound like the same woman from other albums. Its a driving album that could not be better for brewing a porter.

Well I am stuck at work, but I am going to go download (illegally) that new Decemberists since I haven't heard them in years.

at the end of the boil i had 4.5 gal of wort, added .5 gal on cold top off, mixed the **** out of it, let it settle, took O.G....91% efficiency. Booya!

Back