New cooling system; wort looks different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMerkle

Reaction score
So, in the past I have experienced feathery white particulate in the boil -what I have come to understand is the hop break- and after cooling via a gravity feed through a cfc, the wort going into the fermenter has looked the same (clear worth with floating feathery globs).

After upgrading my system, I am now recirculating the wort through a plate chiller and back into the keg via a chugger pump, while a pond pump recirculates ice water through the plate chiller and back into the bucket of ice water.

Once I hit my target temp, which doesn't take long at all, I pump into my fermenters.

...only now the wort looks very different than the old system. It is no longer clearish with floating break material going into the carboy, but rather a very consistent -and VERY cloudy- milky color.

Why is this? Should I be concerned? Can anyone explain why this is? Thanks for your answers in advance.

Sounds like you're breaking up all the hot break proteins, and mixing them more or less evenly back into the wort, as a slurry.

Should still rise to the top in the fermenter, and then the krausen will grab it and hopefully drop it.

You could instead skim some or all of the break material before chilling, but I doubt it'll taste that much different or look much different after fermentation is complete.

Back