New cooler MLT Igloo super tough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedHopHead

Reaction score
So after 40 batches my Coleman Extreme 70qt has sprung a big leak since I failed to reinforce the cooler spigot opening with PVC. By mistake when it was on the floor I stepped on the ball valve bending the opening. So I was in the market for a new cooler MLT but didn't want to shell out big bucks.

Saw these Igloo Super Tough coolers at Costco yesterday and picked one up. 72qt for $60. The Igloo website has them for $90 retail. These coolers are touted as being "commercial grade". Here are some of the upgrades: 1) Bolt-through reinforced side handles, 2) stainless steel hinged latches, 3) thicker liner, 4) ice rated at 5 days. The liner is much thinker than my Coleman Extreme, and hopefully will last longer. My Coleman liner was starting to bubble and warp in several places. The lid latch completely closes the lid, whereas my Coleman did not. I always had to place a blanket and weight on top of the lid to keep heat from escaping. Granted, my Coleman kept the heat fine this way, I think this lid design may be better. The bolt-though reinforced handles are nice. My Coleman handles were laminated on and when I would dump grains from a big batch I would notice the handles pulling away and beginning to crack at their attachments. This time I have reinforced the spigot opening with PVC. Lesson learned! In any case here are some pictures. I will report back this weekend on how well it retained heat after I run a batch through it.

photo-3.JPG

photo-2.JPG

photo-1.JPG

photo.JPG

Brewing up a Maibock this am. The cooler did just fine holding my mash temp. Lost 3 degrees over an hour mash without using a blanket and weight on the lid. Next time will use a blanket and weight to see if I can improve on this. I should also state the I open up the cooler to stir at 40 & 20 min during the mash. I suspect this is where most of my heat loss occurs. But his finding is no different than my Coleman extreme's heat loss.

All in all this cooler worked great.

That's a nice one ... hell I may pick one up for their actual use. :)

I get the idea of using a reinforcement on the spigot, but can you post a pic or a link to where that's described? Having a hard time picturing it.

While watching Sunday-morning TV I saw these featured on a fishing show .. they look like the Cadillac (Peterbuilt?) of coolers:

Looks like you trimmed the lever on the valve? I was always annoyed that I can't fully close the valve and never thought to trim it!

Hello, have you used your mash tun again?

Do you still think its better than the coleman? I might just have to get that Igloo instead.

Any updates?

Cheers :)

Yes, I have run 4 batches through it. Heat retention is improved by placing a sheet of foil on top of the mash. I have not lost any heat this way. The only heat I lose is when I open up the cooler to stir half way through the mash. I do only 5 gallon batches, but some of the Belgians I brew have 20lbs of grain in them, no problem in this size. All in all you can't go wrong with this Igloo cooler, and IMO it is built better and should last longer than a Coleman Extreme.

Thanks BRHH for the reply, after your reply I had my heart set on getting that ice chest, but I don't have a costco within a hundred miles of me, so I went on a online search mission to find somewhere to get one and couldn't find one for less than $100 without shipping.

So it looks like its going to be ether the $50 coleman 70qt extreme or $60 coleman 70qt boating ice chest from wally world, I can order a Igloo just not the super tough.

Do you think that the regular Igloo's are better than the coleman's ? Might be the best way for me to go at this point.

Cheers :tank:

I just got one of the delivered and all looked great until I opened it and saw the plastic this thing is made of, kinda like the plastic toys are made of. I don't even want to take the chance by putting hot water in this thing God forbid It ruins the plastic and I can't return it. I'm sure this would make an excellent cooler but hot water idk..this is an old post so it's been 5 years how is it? Did the plastic handle the heat?

Back