New conical, trub & yeast first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glugglug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 7 gal Chronical Fermenter from SS Brewtech.

First question is about when to dump the trub? I have a stout fermenting, and will be at 1 week on Sunday. It's definitely slowing down. At 1 week was when I was planning to dump the trub.

When I dump the trub, do I pull blowoff tube out of the sanitizer in fear some will be sucked into the fermenter, and if I pull it out, what about the air that will get sucked in, or is in not enough to worry about?

Next question is about cleaning and sanitizing the valve so it's ready for getting the yeast? I'm planning on using a bottle brush with sanitizer. Will this be enough. Obviously I can't take the valve off to clean until the fermenter is empty.

Hello neighbor.
I generally dump after 3-4 days, after primary is complete, and after cold crashing.

You'll need to either remove the blowoff tube from the sanitizer, or open the pressure release valve on the top.
In my experience, sanitizer won't get sucked back in, but the vacuum will be too strong to the trub to drain.

For cleaning, I cip with hot pbw for 10-15 mins. rinse with cool water a few times for about 5 mins each. Then sanitize with cold saniclean for about 10 mins.

Latest posts

Back