New conical question - dumping trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcman73

Reaction score
I just received my new 7 gal conical today from SS Brewing. Just to test everything I filled it with 6 gal of water and did a leak test. I then installed a stopper with a 3 piece air lock filled with water. I opened up the bottom valve to see what would happen when I would remove trub. I noticed that the water in the air lock got sucked in and then the flow of water slowed down to a trickle from the valve from the lack of air it needed to draw in.

Now, when it's time to ferment and I go to remove trub after 3-7 days of fermentation, it's going to be worse since trub is so much thicker. What is everyone else doing? Are you just filling the air lock with vodka or something similar? Removing the air lock (which I know is bad) or has anyone slightly pressurized with say 1-2lbs of pressure of CO2 to help with draining?

I am leaning towards modifying the cover of the fermenter so that I can attach a Co2 line to it to add some CO2 to the vessel to help "push" the trub out a bit once it slows down.

I'm buying the first conical i see that comes with gas hookups. No idea why it's not standard, let alone nonexistent.

I'm buying the first conical i see that comes with gas hookups. No idea why it's not standard, let alone nonexistent.

Not necessary, you can simply drill a hole in the top cover and add the connectors. Or if the top has a Tri Clamp fitting like mine, you can add T to the top and use a threaded tri clamp fitting with a gas hook up threaded on it.

Removing the air lock (which I know is bad)...

Actually, I take a paper towel, squirt rubbing alcohol on it, take the air lock out, put the paper towel over the air-lock hole, and drain the bottom valve. While some "air" (oxygen) gets into the conical, I haven't been able to detect any off flavors, etc. Besides, there's a thick blanket of C02 on top of the beer and if some oxygen gets in the conical, once the air lock is back on, the C02 will push the oxygen out of the conical through the air lock.

Having said all that, it may be worthwhile to retrofit the lid with connections in order to push the beer/trub/yeast through the bottom valve.

TC

So far they haven't released a smaller one. They told me they were going to make a smaller one soon. I bet you could brew 5 gallons in it. I am just building my glycol system so that I can use my brewhemoth. It is still sitting in its virgin state in the garage. The smallest batch I brew is 10 gallons so I'm in a different boat. 10 gallons is fine in a brewhemoth.

You could take the 90* off and put a sight glass trub collector just past a valve if you good at building stuff.

Back