New conical/pot metal on AC condenser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeer95648

Reaction score
received my new glycol jacketed conical from Brewers Hardware this week. Now I need to fab up a glycol chiller. I recently dismantled and old AC unit, but I am concerned about the metal brackets around the coils. I am concerned about them rusting and sending that mess into the stainless jacket on the conical. Has anyone tried to remove them? I know from talking to Derrin at Brewers hardware he had mentioned painting them with Rustoleum. But I would like to get rid of them all together. I had thought about using two reservoirs and a plate heat exchanger instead, so that I could send the clean coolant into the fermenter and only have to worry about corrosion in the exchanger itself. On a side note, how corrosive is RV glycol with stainless?

I made an AC glycol chiller and those brackets rusted away very quickly. Mine is just going through copper coils, but if I had a jacketed conical, I would also probably try to steer away from that.

I made an AC glycol chiller and those brackets rusted away very quickly. Mine is just going through copper coils, but if I had a jacketed conical, I would also probably try to steer away from that.

What I am afraid of. I am starting to think I may use the old convoluted copper heat exchanger I have laying around instead of the plate exchanger I mentioned above to avoid rust issues all together. Maybe Rustoleum as well. I havent had a chance to take a great pic yet but here is the fermenter (excuse the mess, Christmas stuff clogging the garage) :)

CameraZOOM-20131227154601465.jpg

Back