New Cider Brewer with a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenbeersbold

Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to make a simple trial batch using wild fermentation and want to do it as simply as possible.
I'll be using windfall apples.
I'll be using a 20L Speidel fermenter that has all the accessories.
My question is, can I ferment and age all in the Speidel without transferring to a secondary fermenter?
Going for a scrumpy style cider.
Howmuch space is it safe to leave at the top after primary fermentation is done?
I'm figuring on 15 liters of juice to allow space at the top but is that too much and risking oxidation after primary fermentation assuming I can do the all in one fermenter method.
Thanks!

I used to use big mouth bubblers for everything. Found I had too much surface area for a quality long secondary. The difference is startling as the combination of a large surface and tough to get nearly full makes for interesting science projects. I recently purchased my first standard neck glass carboy to do the long secondaries in. Much much easier.

The more you limit both airspace and surface area, the easier to prevent oxygen and bacterial effect.

Here's the problem with a big mouth...
big mouth.jpg

Here's how nice it is with a regular carboy:
regular carboy.jpg

Thanks for your info,I figured it out since I first posted.I'm using Speidel fermenters to age the cider on the lees(no racking into a secondary container) so I'll just top up with some fresh juice and let 'er ride once primary fermentation is done.

Latest posts

Back