New chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nurmey

I love making Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure I read somewhere on here that you should do something to a new copper chiller before you use it the first time. Boil it in water maybe? I'll be darned if I can find the thread I read that on (unless I was dreaming).

I'm dying to try this out but I don't want to mess up a brew if there is some "conditioning/cleaning/?" step I'm suppose to do first. What's the scoop guys?

I made mine myself and so I had to use dish soap as lube during the process of inserting the copper coil into the hose. So I first ran boiled water through it slowly trying to ensure I got a clean stream out the other end. Then I made a batch of cleaning solution and ran it though slowly as well. Finally I ended it with a batch of sanitizer. Each step I made sure to let the solution sit for awhile as well, especially with the sanitizer. The sanitizer was probably overkill though since boiling water should sanitize it alone.

If you have an immersion chiller, boil it in a solution of 1 cup white vinegar to 1 gallon water. Use as many gallons as you can fit in your pot (or enough to cover the chiller, if it's less). 10-15 mins boiling in that will clean it up nicely.

I periodically clean my immersion chiller this way. If not the chiller goes into the wort all dull and dingy and comes out sparkling clean! :drunk:

Back