New burner, keggle doesn't quite fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I got a used burner recently from CL only to find that my keggle is just a little bit too big for it. If the keg's bottom were a little bit smaller it would have decent support, or if it were larger it would fit over the support on the burner.
3nd3m63o75V55U45P0b9c38713aff127a16e9.jpg

When I first tested it the keg shifted after about 15 minutes and came close to falling over. So I tried a couple of large clay tile scraps as supports which worked well for about an hour until one side cracked and broke away.

Any suggestions for some kind of support rig for this or would I be better off scrapping this burner? Maybe there is a better choice of tile scraps than clay? I was hoping to brew this coming thursday with this rig, but it's looking like I'll have to keep it on the stove...

Maybe the grate from my cheapo charcoal grill?

+1 on the cheap grill grate, that's what I used on my old burner (looked like the one you have too) and worked like a champ.

Yes, you can get a Weber grill charcoal grate (this is the grate that sits on the inside of the grill and keeps the charcoal off of the bottom of the grill itself) and that will be big enough to hold your keggle.

I have this same setup, but I'm noticing that my grate is bending a little more each time I use it, so it might be a good idea to take your burner to some place and have some extra metal welded onto it.

But honestly, your burner does not look all that safe to use for brewing. If that were my burner, I'd spend the $50 to get a new Bayou Classic SQ14 and set my mind at ease.

I'm testing it now with the cast iron stove top from out gas stove. Seems more stable than the grill plate. Think I'll eventually get a better burner especially since the focal point of the flame is lower than my keggle will ever go.

BTW is it fine for the metal to get red hot?

The burner is just resting on the tank, it doesnt actually run that way! So its not that scary.

Yes it s fine for it to get red hot....just dont touch it ;) I actually turn the bottom of the keggle sleave red hot when Im heating the wort to get it up to boil temps on my natural gas setup.

Excellent, thanks. Yeah the pic is from the CL add; that is just how he stored it. Unfortunately I think I will get a new burner eventually since A) SWMBO doesn't like me using her stove's cast iron grate and B) the dark blue part of the flame is a good 2-3 inches from the bottom of the kettle. Designed for the pot to be resting on the 3 inner support beams.

Don't skimp on the burner. Get something rock solid that can safely support the weight of a full keggle. 10+ gallons of boiling hot wort isn't something to mess around with.

Back