New BREWMERGENCY! RAIN + Cookie Sheet = DMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
So, I had a pump problem. (see thread here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/brewmergency-progress-sparge-question-250747/) Now it' raining HARD!

I'm about 60 minutes into a 90 minute boil. The rain is coming down like crazy, so I tossed a round cookie sheet over the keggle. Am I looking at DMS issues? What can I do to combat them? I'm going to do a no-cool, since I can't go out and use my CFC.

UGH!

It's a Maris Otter SMaSH.

I think this is the least of my issues. Looks like the burner gave out 60 minutes into the planned 90 minute boil. I got two hop additions in, but didn't boil down as far as I had hoped. Drained it into a 10 gallon corney that I rinsed with StarSan, but didn't fully clean out like I wanted (this is my main concern). Chucked the thing in a bath tub with 64 pounds of ice. I hope I can get the yeast in before I fall asleep and get the fermentation going.

I'm calling this "Shoulda Known Bitter"

You should be fine. Pilsner malt is a heavy contributor for DMS. Just an FYI, I've heard that using 100% MO can add either a diacytal-like or DMS-like flavor. Can't recall which, but I did hear that in an interview at some point... If you do taste some off flavors, it could just be the MO.

At this point, I don't have the biggest expectations for this beer. But I'm not counting it out just yet.

After allowing the fermenter to chill overnight, looks like it got to about 68/70 (according to the fermometer on the vessel).

Rehydrated and pitched two packets of Nottingham and am crossing my fingers!

Back