New Brewing TV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103238

Reaction score
Just finished downloading and watching the new BTV platform. It was a short 10-minute episode on summer serving techniques. For me it's too early to tell how it will turn out. Obviously it's never going to be what it was, so I'm still looking forward to future episodes to see how it all plays out.

Any thoughts from anyone else who watched it?

feels like...meh? I don't expect it to ever be as good as it was, but who knows, maybe something decent can come out of it. I still have all the old episodes downloaded and watch them randomly. But for good brewing entertainment, I go over the old sunday session archives or watch episodes of chop and brew or scour hbt.

Seems just like a big ol ad for equipment, void of personality. Bummer - but didn't really expect the real brewingtv to continue. Check out chop&brew for Chip's new beer and food video work. Helps ease the pain. If he'd get Dawson and Keeler....

It was sorta bland. There was no personality for sure. I know Dan and Josh were on a few BTVs before and they had it then.

The one guy was wearing Capri pants, WTF? I expect that from Europeans but Americans heck no...

I'll give it a few more episodes. You could definitely hear the nervousness in their voices. I think once they're more comfortable in front of a camera the quality will improve.

Definitely not the 3 amigos we all used to love .............I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and watch a few and make my decision.

Yes, indeed. Episode 66 last summer was the last with the trio. Keeler and Dawson departed, and Chip did a few episodes afterwards. I want to say it was around last October when Chip parted ways as well. Chip has been rolling out his own video series Chop & Brew, with an occasional cameo from his fellow comrades. The BTV that came out 2 days ago was the first episode in nearly a year, with an almost entirely new crew.

For the dedicated and passionate followers of the original BTV, I don't think the show will ever quite fill the void. That being said, it's a new show, new platform, and new hosts, so it'll take them a few episodes to work out the kinks, so I will try to be patient and see which direction it goes.

Ok... slow down. WTF happened? Did I miss a falling out?

I watched the new episode a few times yesterday and then proceeded to unsubscribe from the BTV YouTube channel. As most, I was crushed when I learned that the Mike, Jake, and Chip were no longer with NB and therefore no longer doing BTV. Honestly, BTV played a huge part in bringing my homebrewing hobby up to an obsession. It was my Friday night ritual to sit down with a couple homebrews and watch the new episode. And the 2011 NHC episode inspired me to make the trip to Seattle in 2012, which was an amazing experience... not to mention getting to meet my BTV "heros". While the details of their departure from NB are unknown to me, based on changes I was noticing with NB on their website and the change in flat rate shipping, it was my impression that they were becoming more "corporate". But who am I to judge. Like many, after NB announced that there would be new BTV episodes I patiently waited... not expecting the show to be the same as it was, but hoping for something with a similar feel and production value that the old BTV had.

NB completely missed the mark on this. This was no more than one of their product vids on their main YouTube channel. But for me, what actually made it "bad" was when they all dropped a "All For Brew and Brew for All" at the end. Just felt like a punch in the stomach. Please, out of respect for your loyal fan base, just let Brewing TV ride off into the sunset as the great show it was. This is absolutely not directed toward those who were in the most recent episode. I'm sure they were just doing what they were told to do. I'm assuming that the order from the top is to do shows that showcase NB products. Fair enough. But if you're not going to even make an attempt to follow the old format, using the old graphics and catch phrases just feel like a slap in the face to the fans. Personally, this has put a bad taste in my mouth for NB, and will most likely affect my decisions when I need to purchase equipment/ingredients in the future. I'll still check on any new episodes they come out with, hopeful that they take the feedback and make changes, but honestly my expectations are pretty low at this point.

It was pretty weak. I'll give them a couple more before making final decision. I hope talking about brewing punches things up.

Not me. Unsubscribed after the All for brew...... Northern brewer is over priced and sucked before all of this. Austin Homebrew and morebeer were by far the better alternatives. If I am going to get screwed on price then I am going to march down to my local store and buy from them. The show was the only reason I ever even skimmed NB's web site and now that the talent has left I am done wasting my time looking at stuff I can find cheaper elsewhere. At least we have Chop and Brew.

Very bad. It was like they were reading off a script the whole time. A very poorly written script.

Finally got around to watching this and it was a painful ten minutes. You can really tell how big a difference a true professional videographer makes!

[QUOTE=" While the details of their departure from NB are unknown to me"[/QUOTE]

As I have heard from Chip on his new channel all three took new jobs elsewhere. Chip is currently at Summit Brewing Co. Doing exactly what he was doing for NB. Jake is working for Wyeast and I'm not sure where the third ended up

Wow.. Ive only had two our purchases with NB and both were B1G1 carboys... Other than that i find them to be to expensive.. But i have REALLY enjoyed this channel until now.. Nevermore!

As I have heard from Chip on his new channel all three took new jobs elsewhere. Chip is currently at Summit Brewing Co. Doing exactly what he was doing for NB. Jake is working for Wyeast and I'm not sure where the third ended up

Micheal Dawson is the one at Wyeast. He also has a blog at thebeerengineblog.com

Back