New brewer, recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannerev

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm new around here but I've been lurking for a few months. I have some extract brews under my belt and I was just trying to clean up some old stuff and make a lighter less hoppy beer for the wife to have during the summer - as everything I have done so far have been darker ales. Anyway I brewed this tonight and don't really know what to expect! I don't care about abv in this batch, mostly because I broke my hydrometer and didn't have a backup (noon mistake). Anyway have a look at what I did to use up my leftovers and let me know what I should expect!
1.5ish lbs wheat dme
2.2ish lbs amber dme
1lb dextrose

Steeped .5 lb crystal 15, .25lbs carapils and .25lbs crystal 40 at 150 for 30 mins

About 3.5 litres wort the rest topped up in the fermenter.

About .75oz simcoe at 60 mins and .5oz cascade at 15 mins. Late addition of the amber extract.

Pitched BRY-97 American west coast yeast at 69 degrees.

I know it will make beer, probably under 5%, not sure what else to expect! I usually try to be accurate but this was honestly just using up some leftovers. I live way up in northern canada so my lhbs is 4 hours away! Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hey there. I'm new around here but I've been lurking for a few months. I have some extract brews under my belt and I was just trying to clean up some old stuff and make a lighter less hoppy beer for the wife to have during the summer - as everything I have done so far have been darker ales. Anyway I brewed this tonight and don't really know what to expect! I don't care about abv in this batch, mostly because I broke my hydrometer and didn't have a backup (noon mistake). Anyway have a look at what I did to use up my leftovers and let me know what I should expect!
1.5ish lbs wheat dme
2.2ish lbs amber dme
1lb dextrose

Steeped .5 lb crystal 15, .25lbs carapils and .25lbs crystal 40 at 150 for 30 mins

About 3.5 litres wort the rest topped up in the fermenter.

About .75oz simcoe at 60 mins and .5oz cascade at 15 mins. Late addition of the amber extract.

Pitched BRY-97 American west coast yeast at 69 degrees.

I know it will make beer, probably under 5%, not sure what else to expect! I usually try to be accurate but this was honestly just using up some leftovers. I live way up in northern canada so my lhbs is 4 hours away! Thanks everyone

Well not knowing the final volume makes it tough to say where you'll end up at. Running you recipe through my beer alchemy app if you final volume is 2.5gallons I'm coming up with. 6% ABV 88.4 IBU's

For 5 gallons you'd have. 3.1%ABV 46.3 IBU's

Sent from somewhere to someone

My apologies it is a 5 gal batch. Wow, quick responses!

Does the fact that I added all the amber DME with about 5 mins left in the boil do anything to mellow out the hops a bit? I obviously overdid the hops - I have only done much bigger beers so I don't really have the delicate hand for what the wife wanted - looks like I will be drinking this beer. Oh well :)

Does the fact that I added all the amber DME with about 5 mins left in the boil do anything to mellow out the hops a bit? I obviously overdid the hops - I have only done much bigger beers so I don't really have the delicate hand for what the wife wanted - looks like I will be drinking this beer. Oh well :)

While it MAY mellow it some :confused: (which I wouldn't count on) I hope it turns out better than my last beer I Hopped the ever-lovin-$h!t out of. It tasted like drinking a glass of perfume. Can honestly say that was the only beer I brewed that damn near nobody liked.(myself included). think I have a couple 12oz'ers around maybe have to chill one to see if time mellowed it at all(or remind myself that style guidelines are there for a reason).

Either way you made beer I just hope you're end results turn out better than mine did.

thanks! I actually like hoppy beers and my IBU's are normally around this range or higher - I just tried to make it less hoppy for SWMBO. Oh well! Time to free up a carboy and start another batch I suppose!

The best part about this hobby is that generally even my failures are way better than the garbage beer I can get up here! (very small northern town - choice of Canadian, bud light, Budweiser, etc.)

I don't think it will be "very" bitter, at least for my tastes. Sounds like it will turn out good to me. Let us know what she thinks.

Well, bottled today. I tasted it and it was terrible. I realized that I forgot to use RO or bottled water with this batch, i tried just using the tap water. our tap water up here is super chlorinated, and i did not use a campden tablet (still new at this).

I bottled it anyway and i will check in a month or so, but I have heard this is the one thing that will not mellow out with time.

Pretty certain this is the issue - I brewed two separate batches that day, one went to secondary and one didn't, very different recipes, same awful taste.

Bummer.

That is a Bummer. What was the flavor?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

Just really chemical-like. Not necessarily the band-aid I have heard about, just tasted chemical. Our tap water usually has a bit of that taste which I why I always brew with RO water. I just forgot this time. The taste was magnified quite a bit in both beers that I brewed that day. Different recipes, one went to secondary for dry hopping... Both with the same bad taste. We'll see what they are like after conditioning for a month.

Back