New brewer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowtownCanuck

Reaction score
Hey all, got a few questions about my mead.
I've been homebrewing on and off for a few years, tried my hand at beer, cider and mead. My experience with beer and cider has been rocky to say the least, but the few batches of mead I've made have always been very enjoyable.
3 weeks ago started a 5 gallon batch with basic Costco honey (it's always been fine) but for some reason my mind was numb when I started and I just realized that I only had 5 pounds of honey instead of my intended 15. Fermentation stopped about a week ago and I'm sitting at a hair under 1.000. I have a few questions.

1) Am I able to simply add another 10lbs of honey now? Does that have a chance of success? I have about 2" of room below the taper on the carboy so I don't think space is an issue.
2) I'm using a 6 gallon carboy, once the fermentation is done can I let it age in the carboy? Is there any issue with aging it with all the dead yeast at the bottom?

All that's in the carboy is the honey, filtered & boiled water, my hydrometer and EC118.

TIA

Yes you can add more honey. I would also add some yeast nutrient. Once the ferment is done you'll want to rack off the lees into a smaller vessel to minimize headspace while aging.

Hiya CowtownCanuck - welcome - and a happy New Year. There should be no problem adding another 10 lbs of honey but 10 lbs of honey is about 5/6 of a gallon so you may not have enough room in the carboy. I would remove some of the mead before adding the 10 lbs and if there is enough room to add this back while maintaining enough head room for any active fermentation.

I wouldn't let the mead age on the gross lees. Gross lees contain , as you say, dead yeast cells and dead yeast cells can and will burst open and their insides when outside can create off flavors. Allowing your mead to age on fine lees is a different story.

Thanks for the responses and the welcome! Things got busy but I added another 5 pounds last night to see how it would fair. The air trap isn't bubbling but I can see faint activity with a light to the side of the carboy.

Back