New brewer question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimpmeister

Reaction score
Brew day for batch #4, double oatmeal coffee stout. I will be starting about 9am...all the instructions say "relax and have a home brew"... is 9am too early for a homebrew on an occasion like brew day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Definitely not, I try to get started as early as possible on brew days before SWMBO drags her lazy butt out of bed and starts complaining about me "not spending enough time with her". If you can get up at 5am, start then. If you can get up at 4, even better. :)

I would never deny a man a beer, no matter what time it is.

My advice? If you are new at this and still learning the process then I personally would avoid it.
From personal experience when I was learning this craft:
My BEST brewday occurred when I waited until post boil and the kettle was draining into the fermenter. It was around 11am and I did everything right.
Brewing beer involves a lot of standing and waiting (mash and boil) and that can lead to one drink, two drink, three drink.... ohhh crap a boilover, missed hop addition, and more possibly a hot wort bath.

Just my thoughts.

While not as fun, brewkinger is definitely right, if I start drinking before the boil, the probability of an error goes way up. Start brewing early, start drinking during the boil, then take a nap.

While not as fun, brewkinger is definitely right, if I start drinking before the boil, the probability of an error goes way up. Start brewing early, start drinking during the boil, then take a nap.

Correct on both points. Definitely not as fun. Definitely take a nap.

He's not wrong!

All things in moderation. Even at 9am where you are, it's noon somewhere else!

Swmbo had to work today. So I'm in the clear there.

Everything went great! Racked an ale onto 3# of fruit and did my first partial mash. Mashed oats and other grains at 155 for a bit longer than the hour called for and was up to 1.043 just from grains. Lhbs measured wrong and I ended up with an extra 1/2# of lme. So instead of 5.5 gal at 1.077 I ended close to 6gal at 1.086. Decanted the yeast cake from the ale and repitched .4 L of slurry because of the higher gravity and 12 hours later it is bubbling happily.

Back