New brewer question 2, Primary done?h

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmako

Reaction score
I started a Belgian dubbel this past Saturday and bubbling has been a fairly health 2-3 bubbles a second for Sun-Mon slowing to 1 a second on Tues.

Now Wednesday and I have pressure in the airlock, but no more bubbles (waited at least a min.).

The beers OG was 1.060 and the primary is kept at 68 degrees.

Question, should a double be ready for the bright tank (carboy) already? I would have expected it to go for at least 7 days not just 4.

I plan on taking a hydrometer readings starting tomorrow to see whats up but figured I'd ask here first.

It might be done with most of the fermentation, but remember that the yeast are still busy cleaning up their own waste products, like diacetyl. I would leave it in the fermenter at least a week or 10 days before even considering moving it.

I've had some beers in the 1.050- 1.060 range ferment in 24 hours. I've had some take two weeks. You couldn't tell the difference between them if you tasted them, I'm sure. I just leave them alone until I have a chance to rack them.

Okay here's the update.

Took a reading and ended up with 1.010 (started at 1.060) 5 days ago. Secondary time?

PS: it even taste good!

So, I would rack on Saturday at the earliest. Leaving it in the primary for a few more days will not hurt. Actually it might help the beer. I like my ales to stay in primary for 10-14 days.

Back