New brewer question- 1 gallon with 5 gallon equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

av8orct

Reaction score
My first batch, an American Wheat from Northern Brewers was a pretty good success!!

As I drink the fruits of my labor, I'm thinking of the next batch.

I see NB also has 1 gallon extract kits and I'm considering purchasing one of them.

My question (probably seems basic to the seasoned brewers)- can I use a 5 gallon primary fermenter and carboy with a 1 gallon brew kit?

Does it matter that there's more 'space' at the top of either of these two containers?

While I do agree there can be a small risk, I have fermented many 1-2 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy without any issues at all. I think there is much more risk if you secondary ferment with too much head space because of the oxygenation. But if you are just going to primary ferment for 3 weeks or longer, a 5 gallon bucket or carboy is fine. There are lots of other posts and threads on the topic. Hope it helps.

While I do agree there can be a small risk, I have fermented many 1-2 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy without any issues at all. I think there is much more risk if you secondary ferment with too much head space because of the oxygenation. But if you are just going to primary ferment for 3 weeks or longer, a 5 gallon bucket or carboy is fine. There are lots of other posts and threads on the topic. Hope it helps.

Agree here. I do 2.5 g batches in my 6.5 g bucket. I don't do a secondary.

I ran into the same choice when I started looking at small batch recipes for a trial run but only having 5 gal sized equipment. Decided to buy a 2 gal bucket and 1 gal carboy for those small batches. Even if I don't use them that often I have a 2 gal bucket that works great for storing sanitizer for the large batches and/or bottles

I also am getting into a lot of 1 gallon and 5 gallon batches. You can pick up 2 gallon fermenting buckets for first stage fermentation for as low as $5. 1 gallon glass jugs to use as carbouys can also be picked up pretty cheap. Many online brewing equiptment stores will sell them with air lock and or blow off tubing

If you have the capability to do 5 gallon batches, I don't know why you'd bother with a 1 gallon batch. It just seems like a lot of effort and waiting for just 2 Coke bottles' worth of beer. I guess the thinking is that if it turns out badly, at least you haven't wasted a lot of money? But what if it turns out GOOD? It'll be gone before you know it.

Once you've got your processes down, and you're familiar with ingredients, what are the chances you're going to end up with something so undrinkable that you have to pour it down the drain and say, "Whew! At least I only wasted $8 instead of $25!"

If you have the capability to do 5 gallon batches, I don't know why you'd bother with a 1 gallon batch. It just seems like a lot of effort and waiting for just 2 Coke bottles' worth of beer. I guess the thinking is that if it turns out badly, at least you haven't wasted a lot of money? But what if it turns out GOOD? It'll be gone before you know it.

Once you've got your processes down, and you're familiar with ingredients, what are the chances you're going to end up with something so undrinkable that you have to pour it down the drain and say, "Whew! At least I only wasted $8 instead of $25!"

Personally, though my 1st two batches have been 5 gal partial mash .. Im considering some smaller 1 or 2 gal recipes for the purpose of trying several different recipes stored, fermented, ect in an over all smaller space.
Cost of brewing 5 new 5 gal recipes this weekend and the hassle of storing them (not to mention my new fermentation chamber will only hold two 6.5 gal buckets or carboys) is much more, $$$ & space then brewing 5 two gal recipes.

^^This.

Still at a loss of why someone would bother with the 1 gallon batch size. I know I don't drink as much as alot of you guys and even I think 2 cases of beer isn't all that much.

Most people aren't doing experiments that would potentially ruin a batch, so you may as well maximize your time input. The worst that could happen is if you have to drink beer that isn't perfect.

my reason for doing 1 gallon as well as 5 is trying big specialty brews or or brewing beers I like, but I dont want to drink 5 gallons of. My 1 gallon set up is for barley wines or when I tr a specialty brew for the first time, like a black rye IPA. However, if I were to brew some easy beers, like a wheat beer, I like wheat beer, but I dont like it enough to just have 5 gallons on hand. But I will brew 5 gallons of IPA left and right

You absolutely can ferment 1 gallon in a 5 gallon bucket... I do it all the time. But you can also get a 2 gallon bucket from Home Depot for about $2. I don't know where the increased risk of infection may come from, but I think that's pretty much a non-issue.

As for the issue of WHY you'd want to do a 1 gallon batch... geesh people, no one asked for that feedback. In fact, there is a really long tread here on HBT about 1 gallon brewing. I do it for small experimental batches and SMASHs. I'm doing one this afternoon. I can set it up on the stove while I do other things around the house... no need to pull out all the "Big equipment".

Personally, though my 1st two batches have been 5 gal partial mash .. Im considering some smaller 1 or 2 gal recipes for the purpose of trying several different recipes stored, fermented, ect in an over all smaller space.
Cost of brewing 5 new 5 gal recipes this weekend and the hassle of storing them (not to mention my new fermentation chamber will only hold two 6.5 gal buckets or carboys) is much more, $$$ & space then brewing 5 two gal recipes.

but all the time you waste doing 1 gall on batches. even my "test" batches are 5 gallons so I can repeat them with the same system. especially when you can store 2 temp controlled 6.5 gallon fermentors.

but all the time you waste doing 1 gall on batches. even my "test" batches are 5 gallons so I can repeat them with the same system. especially when you can store 2 temp controlled 6.5 gallon fermentors.

It's a hobby. I don't ever consider experimenting with grains, hops, and recipe formulation wasted time. Geesh... by this theory, we should all just brew once a year and do 200 gallons... after all, that's the most efficient use of time, right?

Also, bear in mind, some people simply don't drink that much beer, or may have issues with storing hundreds of bottles. Odd, but true.

The OP asked for help about equipment, not a critique of the time he spends enjoying the process of making beer.

:D:D:D Thats funny.. you included the words "wasted time" in a thread about home brewing...

Nothing about home brewing is about "making, saving time" or at least not that I can see, find or read.

I can be at a store local to me that has many dozens of great brews in the fridge in under 10 min travel time... be back at home in another 10 min. doing this :mug:

So by your misused definition.., YOU are wasting time brewing at home..while I am drinking beer in under 20 min. :D

Again, not a waste of time FOR ME.... if it is for you, great, don't do it...
The question was CAN YOU do 1 or so gal batches in 5 gal equipment... not wither YOU approve of the posters reason for doing so.. :off:

Think I'll go start a thread on how to brew 1 qt batches.. that should really get your panties in a bunch :p

Back