New brewer needs help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmblackshire

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I am very new to brewing, but I have the bug real bad. We have a few cases bottled and are waiting for our first batch to taste, but in the process of keeping up with the supply I have run into a problem.
While making a wheat beer brew kit my friend and I on a Sunday brew day followed the directions and make our now 4th kit of beer. For all I know and follow we have the directions correct ,but after 5 days now there is no bubbles in our air lock, thus telling me that I do not have a proper fermentation happening. In the amount of research I can find online I have come to the conclusion that I should re pitch the yeast. Would you all make similar suggestions? Thank you for your help to a new, but dedicated brewer.

Bubbles are not a reliable indicator of fermentation, be patient its fine.

If you are really worried, take a sample and do a SG test this is the only way to see if fermentation is going on.

Follow the SG with your hydrometer it's the best way to know what's happening with your beer. If you don't have one... buy one :D since you have the bug hehe. 5 days is a bit long for no sign of fermentation. Did you see any krausen? If you saw it and it fall down, that's an other good sign of fermentation. Did you shake the wort and yeast with the spoon the first day? The yeast need oxygen to do is job.

Whats the temp at? I usually ferment in the basement, but with the -10, -20 weather we've been having lately my basement is at about 50. Too cold to ferment down there! So my carboys are at ground level at a nice 65 degrees now. Just a thought, definately check your gravity though

Also, if your using a bucket it could be leaking past the lid/seal rather than out through the airlock

I have a hydrometer but have not taken a reading yet. I don't want to break the seal too early. I did not notice if the krausen had risen or not. I use plastic buckets so it is hard to see. For my best knowledge though I had everything nice and tightly sealed. I do keep my beer in the basement so the temperature is constant and proper. I will wait until the one week point before I take a reading. If fermentation has not taken place at this point should I then pitch more yeast and try fermenting again? Thank you all for your responses.

I have a hydrometer but have not taken a reading yet. I don't want to break the seal too early. I did not notice if the krausen had risen or not. I use plastic buckets so it is hard to see. For my best knowledge though I had everything nice and tightly sealed. I do keep my beer in the basement so the temperature is constant and proper. I will wait until the one week point before I take a reading. If fermentation has not taken place at this point should I then pitch more yeast and try fermenting again? Thank you all for your responses.

Now is the time to check on fermentation. Carefully open the lid of the bucket and look at your beer. Is there a ring of gunk on the side of the bucket, perhaps an inch to an inch and a half? That's a sign that fermentation happened. Take a hydrometer sample while you have the bucket open too. If its specific gravity is lower than when you put it in that is a definite sign of fermentation and will tell you more about where your beer is. If neither indicator shows up, add yeast and close the bucket.

What yeast did you use and what's your fermentation temp. Some yeasts have very specific fermentation temp requirements. I just learned this lesson the hard way with a Wyeast 3724 that requires fermentation temps upwards of 80F.

I am using a wheat brew kit with Muntons active yeast. I have another kit that should be arriving in the mail shortly that I can steal that yeast packet from until I get to the supply store.

Take a gravity reading and compare it to the reading you took before sealing up your fermenter. If the gravity has decreased you are fermenting. You should also notice the krausen once you open the bucket up.

I never close the lid of the bucket so the yeast can have oxygen to do their work. I just put it on the top so nothing fall in the wort. When the fermentation is about 1.010ish I rack it in the carboy.

Alright so I opened my fermenter today to take a look. I notice a ring around the top about an inch above the brew. I took a second gravity reading. I started at 1.045 and the second reading was 1.020. I would now assume that fermentation is taking place. I put the lid back on and put it back into my basement to allow it to ferment further. I placed it on a table next to the heater because it was cold ( about 56 Deg) I feel as though the temperature might be my problem. Any feedback on this for me? Thank you all for your help so far.

Since you have a krausen ring, you can be sure you had the fast part of the ferment and the krausen has fallen already. Now you can let the beer warm up without causing off flavors and this warming will help the yeast complete the ferment.

56 is a little cold, but also depends on the yeast and other factors.

If its next to the heater you should be fine, just make sure its not to hot.

Back