New brewer... Low OG reading. Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhodgeindy

Reaction score
Hello...

I have started my second brew while my origional carbonates. I have a few questions I hope someone can help with:

I am brewing a belgian wheat that is supposed to taste like blue moon (it's for my girlfriend : ) ) When I placed the bitter orange peel and coriander in the muslin bag for the last 5 minutes of boil should I have left the bag in the primary fermenter? Also, my OG reading was at 42 and the sheet says that it should be between 51 and 56. I did not add additional water above 5 gallons total for the batch so I don' t know why it is low. I was wondering if I should add corn sugar to get the gravity up and if so how much?

I love this site and thanks for any help!!!

You likely didn't mix the wort & top off water well enough. I pour both vigorously into the fermenter,then stir with my paddle like mad for 5 minutes straight. Whip it roughly,whip it good! Then Take a hydrometer reading. you're likely fine.

I have scard myself before on batches where I didnt stir prior to taking my OG reading.....I wouldnt worry about it.....your beer will be fine.

I assume it was an extract kit you brewed?

Back