New brewer here- Thought I botched my 1st batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmashl

Reaction score
I brewed a new batch of Brewers Best American amber ale. Well the directions didn't tell whether or not to cover the pot or not. So, I covered the pot during the boil. I was stirring the brew frequently during the boil. I had heard that the brew can taste like cabbage if you cover. Well, took a sample out of the primary fermenter to check the FG(bubbles non existant after nice activity the 1st couple of days). Did a little taste test, tastes great to me. I am very happy that this will turn out. It is only 3 days into fermentation. when should I rack to the Carboy?

I don't think the whole covered boil is much of an issue with extract brews. That being said I never cover. As far as time, you can check on here for the whole to secondary or not. I don't typically secondary so I would say leave it 2-3 weeks, test gravity. Once it is stable for a few readings leave it for a week or so to clean up, then bottle.

Back