Quantcast

New Brewer 1st Mead

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

JimFred

Reaction score
I started my 1st batch of mead i used about 3lbs of honey to make 1gallon and i used lalvin ec-1118 followed the directions on the back the water was at just under 109f and it didnt foam really at all and i also left it in the water a little longer then the 15mins it says and now it is about 2 and half hours since i added the yeast and put the airlock on and it doesnt seem to be doing anything no bubbling or anything there is bubbles sitting on top but i think thats from when i was shaking it up. i get bad yeast? can i add more yeast now? and sorry for the terrible grammar and punctuation

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
How long has it been since you pitched the yeast? It can sometimes take 48-72 hrs for signs of active fermentation to appear. Also, many fermenters are not air tight, and can be undergoing active fermentation with no airlock activity. So, airlock bubbles are not a reliable sign of fermentation. I've only used EC-1118 once, but it seemed like it was a relatively slower worker.

Brew on :mug:

OP
J

JimFred

Reaction score
still learning and memorizing all the terms, what is pitching again? is that when u put the yeast into the water or put the yeast/water mixture into the must? if its yeast into water its been 4 and a half hours and if its yeast/water into the must its been about 4 hours and thank u for the heads up on the airlock

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Pitching is putting the yeast into the must, wort, juice, or whatever fermentable liquid you have. Putting dry yeast in water is simply called rehydrating the yeast.

And four hours after pitching is much too soon to be worried about things not happening. One of the hardest things to learn in brewing is patience.

Brew on :mug:

OP
J

JimFred

Reaction score
ok thanks for the tip, when should i start to worry

OP
J

JimFred

Reaction score
ok well dont think i hav 2 worry woke up 2day and now i see some bubbling going on but again thanks for the help and advice