New BJCP style guidelines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pursuit0fhoppiness

GTA Brews club member, pharma technologist
Reaction score
While pondering entering an NEIPA into a competition, I wondered when there may be a new edition of the BJCP style guidelines released as several new styles have been emerging.. I know the last two were in 2015 and 2008, but does anyone have any info/guesses on the next possible edition?

:mug:

Regardless of popularity, I see NEIPA as more of a mistake that became viral than a style... Still, the Specialty IPA designation accommodates it!

It's anybody's guess. I figure the 2015 version was effed up enough, and glaringly lacking the now major style of NEIPA, that a new edition might come out as early as 2019. But that's just a guess.

Not really. 21B was created specifically for things like NEIPA.

FB_IMG_1518375777602.jpg

They just need a category called "Americanized, over-hopped, over-alcoholed, and other swill that has been morphed into something not resembling any original style whatsoever" or maybe Category 999A "Have no clue what this crap is, but someone actually drinks it"

:)

Brewers Association and BJCP are not the same thing. But typically I agree with the BA stuff more than BJCP. They essentially fix the BJCP guidelines annually.

They just need a category called "Americanized, over-hopped, over-alcoholed, and other swill that has been morphed into something not resembling any original style whatsoever" or maybe Category 999A "Have no clue what this crap is, but someone actually drinks it"

:)

They could pare that down into “Innovative new styles.”

I'm on the side of the BJPC and leave Hazy APA/IPA/DIPA on Specialty IPA, add them later as their own style.

Last edited:
Some comps have started adding a special category for NEIPA's , usually 35A. Just pay attention to the rules/instructions on comp sites.

Pending an official update, if your comp doesn't allow appendix styles (most don't) it still provides a guideline for judges to go by and lessens ambiguity/judge preconceived bias (not eliminates though...)

But yes, this is why Specialty IPA and Wild Specialty Beer (under American Wild, in the case of these not-traditional Fruit "Goses" all over the place) were created.

My opinion is that neipa is a trend not a style, yet. Remember black ipa? The wave of the future?

My opinion is that neipa is a trend not a style, yet. Remember black ipa? The wave of the future?

What the HELL is a black IPA?

Ok just kidding. I absolutely hate that style! NEIPA on the other hand...... OMG I cannot brew it enough!

What about a BRUT? Who is going to bring BRUT into the mix of "New Style"

Cheers
Jay

Criteria will change when the sales team invents new styles of beer, writes stories about the beer and creates recipes to make the newly invented styles of beer.
When a recipe recommends making ale and lager with malt syrup, fully modified malt, single temperature infusion, only single fermentation and adding priming sugar or CO2 for carbonation the beer produced is similar in quality to Prohibition style beer and the criteria for judging beer is based on that style of beer.

What the HELL is a black IPA?

No doubt about Black IPA...

I'm not there with the NEIPA's though. I've had some that were tasty but I just cant get past the haze! I will admit to temporarily borrowing the style label a couple of times when I had early clarity problems. Friends just nod and smile as they enjoy the brew. But once the the beer has cleared its no longer labeled as NEIPA. lol

I have seen some pretty clear "NEIPA's" being poured from taps too so I'm thinking some breweries must do the same thing. What a great idea for saving a batch with clarity problems!

Back