New Belgium Springboard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayfound

Reaction score
Anyone ever brewed a successful, or close, clone of New Belgium Springboard?

Had one of these last night and WOW. I can't believe how delicious and incredibly drinkable this beer is. Seems like a perfect summer beer if I can figure out how to make it.

I have found one, somewhat helpful, thread from 5 years ago.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/new-belgium-springboard-recipe-help-69742/

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

According to their website:

Birthdate: January, 2007
ABV: 6.2%
Hops: Mt. Hood
Malts: Pale, Oats
Fruits/Spice: Schisandra
Body: Medium-Light

I'm thinking right now something along the lines of

11.5 Lbs Pale 2-row
1.5 lbs Flaked oats

Mt hood Hops (need to figure out schedule)

Then all that weird crap... new belgium told the creator of the last thread:

"Hops: ditch the 15 min and throw it in the 5 min hopping.

Spices: amount should be really similar to hops. We make a little teabag (okay, a really big teabag) with the goji berries and throw that, along with powdered wormwood and shisandra with the last hopping. Go easy on the wormwood, it’s many times as bitter as the highest alpha hop (if you don’t trust me, try some for yourself; you will redefine the word “bitter” and what it means to you).

Yeast: Use lager yeast and ferment warm. There isn’t a ton of Belgian-y yeast character in this beer, any yeast characteristics should come from having yeast in suspension. We centrifuge but do not filter this beer, the best you can probably do is use a lower flocculating yeast and rack it off warmish.

Fermentation: 19°C for about a week then cool to 4°C and centrifuge, 48 hours later it’s packaged. Easy cheesy.
"

Thanks folks - any thoughts? Also, any idea where to buy wormwood/Schisandra that doesn't make it about the most expensive parts of the brew? Seems their primary uses is for woo-based "eastern" medicine, psychics, potions, etc... considering the trust I place in these disciplines, it makes me concerned of not actually getting the right items.

Cheers,

Ray

Back