New Belgium Fat Tire Yeast--who's got it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really like Fat Tire, and just bottled my first batch. I was lucky enough to do it just before they ended the limited edition of the N.B. Fat Tire yeast, but not soon enough to taste it before they quit selling it. I didn't have they time/equipment to save any from the primary, but when I bottled it yesterday I through a couple cups of boiled water and a teaspoon of sugar into the secondary, on the yeast cake. But I don't have any wort or any way of making it soon, to make a starter with it.

What I'm wondering is this:

1) Who used the N.B. yeast for a Fat Tire clone, and is it worth trying to find more of it? Does it make enough difference to make it worth setting up some yeast swaps, so we can preserve the yeast's availability in the home brew world?

2) If so, I'd like to know who has some cultured that could ship a frozen sample?

3) What should I do to save the yeast I have in my secondary NOW? Could I just dump it into a Mason jar and stick it in the fridge? I probably won't be able to brew again for a couple months, but am not set up to freeze it.

Any help would be appreciated.:drunk:

If I understand you correctly, your batch of FT clone used the special strain from Wyeast. Since you bottle, you should be able to culture from your your own bottles.

ScoutMan said:
If I understand you correctly, your batch of FT clone used the special strain from Wyeast. Since you bottle, you should be able to culture from your your own bottles.
Good plan! I forgot I could do that. That'll teach me to post while drinking hard cider.:D

Your not supposed to make a starter with corn sugar because you dont want the yeast to get used to eating such a simple sugar right? If you prime with corn sugar and you harvest yeast from that bottle wont that yeast have eaten mostly corn sugar? Or will the fact that you will make a starter with DME or whatever make up for this problem?

mrkristofo said:
I've got it...Frozen in glycerol, on slants, and as a slurry. Want some? :)

I'm always up for trading yeast and expanding my bank.
I actually would like to get some frozen in glycerol, since it may be a while until I can use it, and I don't know anything about slants. But, I don't really have any yeast to trade.

Maybe I could order you a smack pack or something you don't have yet, in trade?

How long will it last if kept frozen while shipping? I'm thinking about a year is what I've read.

EDIT: Or are slants a better way of transporting/swaping it?

Here are 5 jars of it right after I washed it. Chances are I will not use them all before some of them are no good. I just ordered vials and the stuff I need to start freezing some. I think NB still has some available.

yw2.jpg

SuperiorBrew said:
Sweet, they do still have it!

Now on to my second question...or third...I don't remember...
Has anyone tasted a F.T. clone with it, and had it taste better with this yeast, or is there something eles that everyone normally uses when the NB stuff isn't available, that is just as good?

In other words, is it worth it for me to buy it now while I can, and culture it for later, or should I just wait and use what everyone normally uses, when I can actually brew again?

Oh heck with it, I just ordered it from NB.

Darn NB and their flat shipping rates! ;) I wasn't brewing because of lack of funds, and some bills coming up pretty soon, but I just can't pass up that flat shipping.

So instead of getting the $6 yeast, I ended up with:
yeast $6
Fat Tire extract kit /yeast $28
wine thief $6
6 lbs. DME $26

And, people keep asking how AHB and NB make money with flat shipping. LOL :mug:

Jesse17 said:
Darn NB and their flat shipping rates! ;) I wasn't brewing because of lack of funds, and some bills coming up pretty soon, but I just can't pass up that flat shipping.

So instead of getting the $6 yeast, I ended up with:
yeast $6
Fat Tire extract kit /yeast $28
wine thief $6
6 lbs. DME $26
Remembering that you wanted to order a bottle washer, right after clicking 'submit order'.............priceless!:mug:

Back