New Belgium Brewery!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
New Belgium brewery (the best brewery in history of man kind) Started distributing east of the mississippi. Went home to Illinois for the last couple days. I went to the store to get some beer when i noticed a beam of light coming down from the heavens. Oh yes there it was....... Fat Tire. Does anyone know if this is just Illinois or multiple states east of the Mississippi????

TN is getting it soon.

I had Fat Tire before and wasn't too impressed, but I'll have to try it again.

Edit: I was also under the impression that it's been in Chicago for a long time now. I'm guessing they didn't have statewide distribution in IL then?

I thought that their Black ale was better. I also thought their trippel was decent.

It is kind of like Spotted Cow in Wisconsin and Oberon in Michigan/Indiana. All decent beers I have when I can get them, but not something that just amazes me though I drink a lot of oberon.

I dont know about chicago but the rest of the state for the overwhelming majority didnt have it. Fat tire has to be my favorite. The trippel and mothership wit are up there too. My personal feeling are its just an all around good brewery. Supposedly they run a great company who treat there employees great. Something has to be said about a company like that. I guess here in St. Louis AB has a pretty good rep. at least from the handfull of people i know there.

An experience I had with La Folie is one of the best experiences I have had with beer, and their 1554, Fat Tire, and a few others are extremely solid fresh.

The 1554 is f'n spectacular.

The Mothership Wit was a little to spiced up for my taste.

Hey tdavis: Lions in Effingham has been stocking their stuff regularly for a while now. Just picked up some Mothership and 1554 there last weekend. They also have the Trippel, but I haven't tried it yet.

They've been distributing in IL for well over a year now. Although I think distribution was limited to the Chicago area.

We take things like that for granted here. Fort Collins is only like 120 miles from me yay :). The 1554 is the best they make, but I do like the frambozen seasonal they make.

The 1554 is f'n spectacular.

The Mothership Wit was a little to spiced up for my taste.

Hey tdavis: Lions in Effingham has been stocking their stuff regularly for a while now. Just picked up some Mothership and 1554 there last weekend. They also have the Trippel, but I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah i saw that. fat tire for 8.99 a sixer. What a rip off. Dont get me wrong i still bought it but i wasnt happy. The trippel rocks. You drink a couple of those bad boys and its lights out.

Oh I had one of the Raspberry Frambozens the other night! What an awesome beer!

I used to live in Fort Collins and let's just say New Belgium new my name at the "Free tour and tasting" :tank:

Frambozen is one of my favorites. I can't get enough of it during the holidays.

Eric

I went down to the liquor store today. I call it the beer mecca. I asked today and they said they have upwards of 1000 different beers their. That being said. they dont have the nbb pale ale or the frambozen. this made me a sad little puppy dog.

We take things like that for granted here. Fort Collins is only like 120 miles from me yay :). The 1554 is the best they make, but I do like the frambozen seasonal they make.

My girlfriend loves Frambozen, so she made me make a clone of it so she can drink it when it's not in season. My clone isn't perfect, but it's pretty dang tasty. And yea, 1554 is pretty good, I'll drink Fat Tire if nothing else is available, but it's highly overrated. I've yet to try La Folie, but one of these days I'll cough up the $17 to buy a bottle.

I went down to the liquor store today. I call it the beer mecca. I asked today and they said they have upwards of 1000 different beers their. That being said. they dont have the nbb pale ale or the frambozen. this made me a sad little puppy dog.

Frambozen is seasonal. It won't be available for another 4 or 5 months.

The Mighty Arrow Pale isn't available in 6-ers yet, only in the 'Find Your Folly' 12 mixed pack, and Frambozen is a winter seasonal...

Aside from their Sunsh!t Wheat or whatever that's called, and their Blue Paddle Pilsner, every other beer I've had from New Belgium is fantastic. La Folie, Mothership, 1554, Fat Tire, their Marzen, Springboard, Skinny Dip, 2 Below Winter Ale, Frambozen - all some of the best I've had.

I'll be looking for them on the shelves. Fun brewery to visit too!

Frambozen is a winter seasonal and to my knowledge wasn't available last winter either - they had 2 Below instead, which is amazing.

Their Saison is great too - forgot that one. Yum.

My girlfriend loves Frambozen, so she made me make a clone of it so she can drink it when it's not in season. My clone isn't perfect, but it's pretty dang tasty. And yea, 1554 is pretty good, I'll drink Fat Tire if nothing else is available, but it's highly overrated. I've yet to try La Folie, but one of these days I'll cough up the $17 to buy a bottle.

La Folie, at least 2 weeks ago, was $4 for a half glass at Falling Rock, a downright reasonable price.

Fat Tire - the Coors of the 21st century...

Coming soon to a theater near you "ollllo and the Bandit" the story of a homebrew's made race to smuggle a plane full of Fat Tire across the USA.

I agree, go for the La Folie!

Nobody has mentioned New Belgium's "Mighty Arrow" pale ale yet. In my opinion, it is their best beer. Sadly, it is only available in the folly pack (or at the brewery). The folly pack has 3 each of Fat Tire, 1554, Mothership Wit, and Mighty Arrow. I could leave the Fat Tire and the Wit, but the Mighty Arrow and 1554 are worth the 12pack.

By the way, I think I win the least distance contest on this one. 5 miles door to door makes for an easy bike ride to the brewery. Maybe not such an easy bike ride back though.

I found a 1554 and a fat tire in my fridge tonight. it was behind my keg. 1554 is much better than fat tire. It has more flavor and complexity. If I had to drink 6 though, I would want fat tire

Aside from their Sunsh!t Wheat or whatever that's called, and their Blue Paddle Pilsner, every other beer I've had from New Belgium is fantastic. La Folie, Mothership, 1554, Fat Tire, their Marzen, Springboard, Skinny Dip, 2 Below Winter Ale, Frambozen - all some of the best I've had.

I'll be looking for them on the shelves. Fun brewery to visit too!

Mmmm...2 Below....

I tried the 2 Below and was very nuetral about it. I guess I have to admit that I am not New Belgium's #1 fan. I am not saying they make crappy beer, I just have watched it over the years and feel they are over played. I AM excited by the ways they are starting to push the envelope of accepted style and look for great things to continue to appear.

In the tour we had last summer the guide did comment that while Fat Tire was the cash cow, it was also the hardest to keep stable in shipping.

I'm not going to say that New Belgium is bad, but I too would be with not writing home about it. I had their triple a couple of weeks back and it was super hot with alcohol. I'm kind of spoiled however living in Oregon so you can pretty much ignore my comments. I will say that I really like New Belgium's sustainability practices so if anything I have to give them props for that.

I don't have anything against it really, but I'm not a huge Fat Tire fan. I think one of the things that pisses me off the most is since it has been popping up in the Chicago area, it has gone for ridiculous prices in bars. I think I saw a bar in Naperville about a year ago had it for something like $9.50 a pint. It hasn't been as bad since then, but I still think bars charge too much compared to other beers.

I'll definitely have to try the other stuff, and I've always heard positive things about NBB itself. Next time I'm out that way (who knows when), I'll definitely have to check it out.

Yeah even if you dont like Fat tire at least try the others they make great beer. Also if nothing else they have a great company. Everyone should go on their website and read about the company. I think NBB is the poster child of what a brewery should be or a company for that matter.

Back