new beer too hoppy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronIV

Reaction score
I brewed by first batch of beer tonight and i dont like an extremely hoppy beer... i ordered a kit from midwest (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-weizen.html) and brewed it as per instruction... steep specialty grains 30 minutes, add lme and 1 oz hops, boil 30 minutes, add honey, boil another 30 adding the other 1 oz hops 2 minutes from the end.

well anyways, after finishing the boil and cooling the wort i pour the wort through a funnel with a strainer to get all of the hop chunks out and the wort smells extremely like hops. I was just curious if that hop aroma shines through in the taste? or if it mellows out a bit throughout the fermentation and aging processes?

thank you for the help, since im sure people have questions like this all the time :/

It's almost impossible to tell how a beer is going to turn out after tasting/smelling it right after the boil. For one, hop aroma dissipates over time, so if it was the hop aroma you didn't like that will certainly fade by the time you are ready to drink it.

So, relax. Let the beer do its thing and see how it tastes in about six weeks. Only then will you see what it's all about.

You'll be fine. It won't be very hoppy maybe 30 IBUs. The weizen yeast will be the distinguishing flavor in your beer, kind of a spicy cloveness.

:tank:Brew On

That beer won't be hoppy. 1oz. of SGs @ 60 + 1oz. @ 2mins. isn't very much especially considering the lack of bittering from a partial boil. Plus that hop is mild anyway. You're fine. Go empty some bottles of commercial beer (down your throat) so you can bottle this batch up. Welcome to the hobby.

14IBUs Tinseth with a 3gallon boil and 5.4AA pellets. That's pretty low on bitterness.

thanks for the welcome! and i realize that the brew will change when its finished, i was just curious since the hops seemed very strong. According to the instruction sheet IBUS should be around 19.5 (not sure what that means) and SG around 1.055 (wound up with 1.074...)

@ RCCOLA by partial boil i assume you mean only boiling 2-3 gallons? if so i boiled around 4.75 gallons. and since i decided to start brewing beer i've saved up a total of 2 cases of samuel adams bottles :)

4.75 gal. boil bumps it up to 19 IBUs. That's about 1/2 of a SNPA. Still low bitterness. If you tasted the wort--it will always be very bitter before fermentation. It loses all of that harshness after ferm. is over.

I like those SA bottles. I keep a couple cases in rotation.

Back