New batch not bitter.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBock

Reaction score
I just kegged my latest batch of brew and it turned out too sweet with hardly any hop bitterness. Here is the issue- I was trying to make a light pilsner to please others, instead of making something I like. I was also using hops I haven't used before and this was pretty much an experiment. So now, there is hardly any hop bitterness to this beer and its barely drinkable. Could I boil another round of hops in a small pot, maybe with some lme to get a concentrated hop water/wort and add to keg to get a little bitterness to it?

6 LB pilsner LME
1 LB Rahr Pilsner
0.5 LB Carapils
1 LB rice syrup solids

Partial mash - 155F 45min 168F mash out.

2 tsp gypsum 60 min
1 tsp Irish moss 15 min

0.5 oz Yakima Magnum 13.5AA 60min.
1.0 oz of US Saaz about 5AA 10min

US-05 Safale yeast pitched dry.

OG 1.058
FG 1.014

maybe try to wait it out. I had a somewhat similar problem with my Cascade APA, just not really bitter at all when I first put it in to the keg. But after a week of it being fully carbonated, the flavors and bitterness started to show a lot more. That was the first beer I've made that was gone in a week.

I think it may have a lot to do with the carbonic acid's influence in the taste. So maybe wait a week or so before trying to mess with it.

You could always dry hop it in the keg..... I'd warm it up to 60, put 2 oz of Saaz or whatever you like in a fine mesh nylon bag, add some weights in the bag, sanatize everything but the hops, then attach some unflavored dental floss to the bag and drop it in for a week, give the keg a gentle swirl every couple of days too.

Bob

beninan said:
maybe try to wait it out. I had a somewhat similar problem with my Cascade APA, just not really bitter at all when I first put it in to the keg. But after a week of it being fully carbonated, the flavors and bitterness started to show a lot more. That was the first beer I've made that was gone in a week.

I think it may have a lot to do with the carbonic acid's influence in the taste. So maybe wait a week or so before trying to mess with it.

SWMBO said to let it sit as well. I will obey. But if it doesn't improve, yes I could dry hop, but what do people think of my idea above?

Back