New bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the bar from pool city a local supplier of pool and game room items [emoji2] I'm waiting for the matching bar back and 2 more stools

Thank you guys, I need a woman to come over and help me with the windows, they need something done with them.

Looks great. I like the faux stain glass idea posted just above. Should look decent.

I like the idea of a stained glass effect, maybe i can use some wood trim around the windows too?

Looks fantastic. I would darken up the walls and ceiling to match your dark accents. It takes away from the "coziness."

Looks fantastic. I would darken up the walls and ceiling to match your dark accents. It takes away from the "coziness."

Agreed. Although you're well on your way. Maybe some of that cheap pine board paneling (I can't remember the actual name of it) but stained nice and dark.

I was thinking the same that the walls need a slightly darker color.

You also need some good pub lighting to complete the feel. Some wall sconces or old bar lamps. Especially if you are going to darken the room walls, etc. This has awesome potential.

Agreed. Although you're well on your way. Maybe some of that cheap pine board paneling (I can't remember the actual name of it) but stained nice and dark.

Traditional would be a coffered panel look but even using off the shelf moldings and building it up would get REALLY expensive really quick. I have done it in paint-grade using MDF and it can look spectacular if you are a skilled woodworker but stain-grade would take a real craftsman and lots of money for quality moldings.

The most cost effective is oak or birch faced bead board paneling with a chair rail cap. This requires very basic woodworking skills and novice measuring skills. Only two major tools needed: miter saw (hand or electric) brad nailer (even an electric one). You can dress that up with strategic molding additions but again...skill and money become an issue.

Probably next up the line would be either car siding (not normally stain grade but that never stopped me) used on porch ceilings and exposed rafter overhangs in the South and Northeast (pre-1950's) or pine tongue and groove popular with cabin interiors. Either of those options will require some trial and error and skill to stain dark without a totally mottled appearance. Still, a lot more reasonable for a homeowner woodworker.

IMO maybe some wood shutters on the windows, and some crown moulding as well.

I am looking at paneling the lower half of the walls with a mottled paint effect above, my plan is to hide the kegerator under the stairs that are behind the bar, and have an oak effect panel with the taps coming through, this will be attached to the kegerator which will be on a frame on wheels so i pull it out to access it.
The color of the panels will match the bar as close as i canand maybe just on the wall behind the bar and under the windows, the pool table room will be painted.
I am also adding a glass paneled door to the bar area to close it in some.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I guess im pining for my little bit of England!

Bead board! That's the word I was looking for!

But regardless, you're on the start to something amazing! Very jealous!

You need to have some busy walls and ceiling.

Clutter it up!

Hang some crap in there!

vscocam-photo-4-1-930x698.jpg

Some hanging cabinets would be just the thing to perfect that...

This is the color I'm thinking of
View attachment 328463

We have that color in our MB. Kinda makes the room look smaller. Besides needing more light to brighten it up. Unless, like in this instance, you want that slightly shadowy warm look? I'm going to do this paneling thing on the back wall of mine like August Luchow's in NYC. Here's a couple sites I got panel ideas from...
Here's an over-all shot the wall panels give the room. With paintings across the top-

The 4th pic down shows the panel details from that room I'm going to copy-
http://abeautifulbar.com/luchow_restaurant_interior.htm
Not too hard with molding strips, luan & planking, like shelf planking. Then stained & satin clear coat.

That looks very cool, I like old style wood like that, I'm not definite on the red yet I want it to feel darker and more cosy, beams and a cream color ceiling are also in the plans I may do the walls in cream and dark wood panels

I used a sort of Devonshire cream colored Glidden paint called morning sunshine. You can see it in a couple of my newer HD videos. I might use honey oak stain, or maybe antique maple, which as a nice warm, reddish color to it. The paneling in my man cave/brewery, as in Luchow's, will leave a painted strip about 3' wide across the top of the wall. Then look for some paintings/knock-offs of pastoral scenes & such like Luchow's use, except smaller to go on that strip. Now if I could just afford to buy the back bar of Luchow's from that guy...

Latest posts

Back