New bar, kegerator upgraded, fermentation box in the works... [big pics]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlyingBeer

Reaction score
This is going to amount to a rather large post, sorry but I have been very busy and would like to show off my new projects.

Firstly, I finally got around to upgrading my kegerator to support 3 taps - 1 commercial 1/2 barrel and 2 5gal cornies. In order to get gas to all three kegs I went ahead and built a tripple secondary regulator setup as shown below.

secondary_parts1.jpg

Before the build.

gas_setup_complete1.jpg

Completed gas system with two ball lock fittings and one sanke coupler fitting.

For now the gas system is sitting below the shelf in my fridge as you can see below. I plan on making a mounting bracket for the secondaries so they are easier to adjust and aren't just laying on the bottom of the fridge.

finished_kegerator_inside1.jpg

Inside of kegerator.

finished_kegerator_outside1.jpg

Outside of kegerator with two more taps added. I plan on making some custom tap handles when I get the time and funding.

Well the kegerator needed a new home in this new house so I built a bar around it with some scrap lumber we had sitting around. The first shot is of the bar wood and the second picture is of the bar nearly completed.

bar_in_progress1.jpg

Just getting started.

bar_mostly_finished.jpg

Nearly finished, painted and trimmed... just need to decide how to finish the top surface.

back_of_bar1.jpg

Behind the bar with plenty of room for holding drinks and supplies.

I put the bar together over the better part of two days and it turned out really well for spending less than $30 on materials and paint. Finally after building the bar and kegerator up I had myself a double brew day on Sunday when it came to my attention that a fermentation chamber might be handy... so I got to work.

fermentation_chamber1.jpg

I am using 2" extruded foamboard insulation to build a box that can hold two different 5-6gal fermenters and keep each at a different temperature. There is a lot more work to be done on this eventually I might right up my plans and how it turns out.

Well that has to be the longest post I have ever made, if you are still reading all the way down here I am impressed. Any questions, ask away!

olllllo said:
Tuning a CO2 cylinder on its side. Generally not a good idea.

Edit:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faqs/___8505.shtml
Point 3

Thanks for that bit of advice, I was wondering but never really read into it. I have been planning on upgrading to a 10 or 20lb tank anyways and that would have to go on the outside, luckily I have enough space on the side of the fridge. I guess I should get those plans moving forward soon, I will just risk it for the next week or so as it has been going fine for about 8 days now.

TheFlyingBeer said:
secondary_parts1.jpg

Before the build.

Nice build! The housing looks like Perlick from http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm I'm really curious were you got those gas valves from. They look like the ones northernbrewer sell on there gas manifolds. I wish I could find some place to get just the valves. Care to divulge your source? Also, I don't see any check valves. I've read they come in handy to protect the gauges from liquid intrusion. Something to think about.

uuurang said:
Nice build! The housing looks like Perlick from http://www.sciplus.com/index.cfm I'm really curious were you got those gas valves from. They look like the ones northernbrewer sell on there gas manifolds. I wish I could find some place to get just the valves. Care to divulge your source? Also, I don't see any check valves. I've read they come in handy to protect the gauges from liquid intrusion. Something to think about.

Those regulator bodies are the ones you mentioned and are working great. The gas valves are also the ones you see at Northern Brewer, they sell them separately from their manifolds. I ordered mine from www.kegkits.com due to their lower pricing but my order took 3 weeks and 4 phone calls to ship so I won't be doing business with them. The valves have built in checks so shouldn't have to worry about liquid back flow.

Well, I'm kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one with www.kegkits.com issues. Things started out ok, but disentegrated into a refund and going elsewhere for my equipment despite the higher cost.

Great kegerator shots, though; I just got mine running and a fermentation box is next on my list as well!

uuurang said:
I just gotta say that blue hose is really sexy man! Wow!...is all I gotta say.
The gas line is from beveragefactory, I just stuck with the blue because my original kegerator kit had blue gas lines. It is nice to seperate the gas and beer lines, but sometimes I wish I had clear gas lines so I could visually check for liquid in them. Its not that big of a deal since I have check valves at my regulators however.

Dude said:
Looking good.

Hey, is that the new Fighting Sioux logo?

I am really digging the new logo (old logo is a little before my time), we will have to see how things go with the NCAA... that debate is still raging.

Back